simplicity 120dc skimmer runs 24/7
fuge part of sump is empty
1 cup of rox .08 carbon bagged changed weekly

fish

3 green chormis juvenile
3 mature clownfish
pink goby mature
juvenile blacktail tang

on week 4 changed from 2 800gph cansister filters to bashsea sump system and water been cloudy ever sense not sure whats going on with the clarity also did 30 gallon water change 2 days ago. Is there any story to be told from this info

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125gallon total 90 gal DT 5 weeks old
80lbs caribsea shapes
100lbs oolite ocean direct sand
parameters as follows

temp 78
alk 13.5
ph 8.2
p04 0.52
no3 10
salinity 1.024
microbacter7 10ml per day
biofuel 5ml per day
zero water changes from start until 2 days ago
food is per added
2 cubes F1 - mysis
pinch of flakes
pinch of spectrum pellets
quarter size piece of red algae

filtration

tidal75 filter floss only
bashsea 30"refugium with100 microns sock @800gph
simplicity 120dc skimmer runs 24/7
fuge part of sump is empty
1 cup of rox .08 carbon bagged changed weekly

fish

3 green chormis juvenile
3 mature clownfish
pink goby mature
juvenile blacktail tang

on week 4 changed from 2 800gph cansister filters to bashsea sump system and water been cloudy ever sense not sure whats going on with the clarity also did 30 gallon water change 2 days ago. Is there any story to be told from this info
lighting 300 viparspectra running 4 hours per day

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me that you are over feeding for the bio load of the tank and therefore high phosphate reading. Also looks like your DKH is high are you dosing something like Kalk? What salt are you using? RO/Di water? Cloudy Water probably bacteria bloom due to immature bio filter. I would cut down on frozen and just do a couple small pinches of flakes or pellets per day and the quarter sheet of Nori for the tang a day and monitor your phos and nitrate levels Also find out why your DKH is high. Should be around 7 to 9 . Also highly recommend Hanna alkalinity checker easily and fairly accurate. Nice Tank good size and Good Luck

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am using tropic pro reef salt. All my testing is hanna so believe they should be accurate.
is .5 phosphate and 10 nitrate high for a as of now a fish only system? i did dose 5ml of reef for all 3 weeks ago to get alk up but it seems to be maybe i over dosed it

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me that you are over feeding for the bio load of the tank and therefore high phosphate reading. Also looks like your DKH is high are you dosing something like Kalk? What salt are you using? RO/Di water? Cloudy Water probably bacteria bloom due to immature bio filter. I would cut down on frozen and just do a couple small pinches of flakes or pellets per day and the quarter sheet of Nori for the tang a day and monitor your phos and nitrate levels Also find out why your DKH is high. Should be around 7 to 9 . Also highly recommend Hanna alkalinity checker easily and fairly accurate. Nice Tank good size and Good Luck
i also agree when i took off the canister filter loss alot of biological filtration which is now causing this possible algae bloom with the heavy feeding thinking i should of put all the media in the filters in my sump temporarily

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Nitrates are good. Phos is way high. I would recommend monitoring your system and see where it is going. The MB7 and Carbon dosing should bring your levels down. No worries for the all for reef I have been dosing AFR on my two tanks for well over a year now with great results . Also suggest a log book for each of your tanks for the tank trends. I use a book of 50 3x5 index cards as my log book for each tank each book of index cards last around 6 months of data. I log all test data and major changes.

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice sump just looked it up. Should work well for

Your Nitrates are good. Phos is way high. I would recommend monitoring your system and see where it is going. The MB7 and Carbon dosing should bring your levels down. No worries for the all for reef I have been dosing AFR on my two tanks for well over a year now with great results . Also suggest a log book for each of your tanks for the tank trends. I use a book of 50 3x5 index cards as my log book for each tank each book of index cards last around 6 months of data. I log all test data and major changes.
yes i started logging today as a matter of fact

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With nitrates and phosphates that low ( still on the high side )
What’s the reason behind running alk at 13?

higher alk will require higher nutrients if faster growth is your thought

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With nitrates and phosphates that low ( still on the high side )
What’s the reason behind running alk at 13?

higher alk will require higher nutrients if faster growth is your thought
i have no corals yet 5 month old tank just been trying to keep parameters stable think alk high from tropic pro reef and one dose of RFA

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck …

The temptation is real …..

Once your system is running it’s almost like the coral frags call our names “ buy me “
believe me i understand but not my first rodeo with a reef tank and deal with algae issues and have corals is tough i am going to wait until i have things dialed in and hopefully sps brother

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck …

The temptation is real …..

Once your system is running it’s almost like the coral frags call our names “ buy me “the tank is five weeks old

Time and will power is a good plan .
I am trying my thoughts were stock my fish and inverts create my max bioload stabilize it the pop in the corals so we will see gow it works out
20210822_192453.jpg
20210822_192509.jpg

Back