Tank pic missing 1 of my Radiums

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I had to temporary replace 1 of my Radium bulbs. I noticed a crack in 1 of my Radiums while cleaning the tank this week so I had to replace it w/th a XM 20K until my new ones could get here.. AND IT SUCKS SO BAD !!!!!! There is day light and dark difference between the 2 bulbs the XM just flat out sucks compared to the Radium in my opinion.. The pic dont do it justice on how dull the XM is (XM ON LEFT RADIUM RIGHT)

pic2002-1.jpg

OP
OP
BHAMR6

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mark my only thing is the zoas in the center the purple and pink ones used to be all BAM BAMS and what ever those are have taken over you can still see a few Bam Bams but not many

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you shoot that with? The lights are overpowering the shot, of course with your lighting you could grow SPS in the stand.

Once your new lights come in I'll bring the 1D over and you can shoot with it awhile.

OP
OP
BHAMR6

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my IPHONE pic quality sucks !!!! I went on that website and was looking at camera yesterday that had some nice ones

markie mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me know when your ready to get rid of some of those on the far left....colorblind but the look like they are neon yellow-greenish i guess..

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the new bulbs come in yet? I née to come see it again with the new bulbs. Shoot a picture or twelve.

jason.tammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Paul.I never can fiqure out my camera settings to get good shots.Maybe I'll get it fiqured out one day.The tank is very nice,looks like you have had some good growth since the last time I saw it.
Jason

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very pretty :) I would love to see your tank in person.

What ballast are you using for the radiums? I understand that a ballast has a lot of influence over the color of a MH bulb. I have seen some tanks lit with radiums in the past, but all of them were overly blue and very dim looking. I know that both 8ball and H@rry were bit disappointed with the color and dim appearance of their radium bulbs. On the other hand, so many people seem to be happy with radiums, saying that they are bright and the color is more white with a nice blue tint. I have not figured out what the difference is. Could this be a ballast issue or just personal preference/difference?

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one do not like 20K bulbs. They look "blue" and to me they look dim. My coral does not look as good under 20K bulbs as they look under 10K. A lot of people think 20K Radiums have more blue than some other 10K bulbs. They do not! Here's a couple of shots of the spectral analysis done by Sanjay.

This is the 20K Radium. Notice the blue value - not quite 1.00
radium.jpg

Here's the 10K ReefLux. Notice the blue value here - about 1.22, almost 25% MORE blue than the Radium. Also look at the red and yellow values, almost twice as much.
reeflux.jpg

The Radiums (or any 20K bulb I think) does not have any more blue than a 10K bulb. They take out the red and yellow so all you have left is the blue. In the end I think bulb preference boils down to a Ford/Chevrolet debate. Some people simply have their mind made up.

As Beelzebub sez: just my .02

Oh, sorry 'bout the hijack :tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BHAMR6

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Gary Yea the new bulbs are in .. You need to go w/th me Sunday I'm selling some frags to get some money together to help Kevin get his tank going..

@ Jason & Tammy Thanks about the tank its starting to look like there is coral in there.... Also i suck at the camera skills I dont know how to make the color show up in the pics

@ Tomoko I would love to have you come down some time !!!! As for as the ballast I run the Galaxy 250watt ballast w/th the Radiums . I know some people use the m80 hqi ballast and they say it pushes the radiums more and makes them more crisp white. I think a lot of mine being so bright has to do w/th the reflectors and the fact I have so much light on a 65g. I spent some time trying to make my mind up on the ballast but after seeing BKV97 and BAMACHAMP tanks they sold me on the Galaxy or the Icecap ballast w/th Radiums

@ Harry I will be the first to say the few times i have put a lower kelvin bulb in like a 14k it brought out colors on some coral that i dont have from my Radiums but like you said ford or chevy to me the growth and the overall color i get from the Radiums or my favorite.. And know worries here about jacking the thread I'm just glad to see people responding and getting involved again

Thanks Paul

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back