Any tips on replacing two360x with Ap9x?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. I had 3- 360x (+t5) on my tank and one of my 360x went out. I am hoping for some help figuring out how to replace 2 of the 360x with an Ap9x. I ran these at 44% intensity.

1) do I just put the center of the Ap9x in the center of where the 2 360x were?
2) what intensity should I start with? (Especially since the corals under the broken one haven’t had any led in about a week.)
3) does it make sense in my situation to use the Ap9x + 1 360x + t5?

Pic for a better idea. It is an innovative marine 100 int.

Thanks!

IMG_5015.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the good news about the AP9x is that the optics intentionally create a rectangular (24" x 48") spread, so you can place the AP9x directly in the center of where the two 360s were mounted. Since you have a working 360 still, you could also slide the ap9x to one side, and have the remaining 360 more towards the "empty" side. It's always a good idea to keep the T5 (or a LED bar) for extra coverage and shadow reduction.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. I had 3- 360x (+t5) on my tank and one of my 360x went out. I am hoping for some help figuring out how to replace 2 of the 360x with an Ap9x. I ran these at 44% intensity.

1) do I just put the center of the Ap9x in the center of where the 2 360x were?
2) what intensity should I start with? (Especially since the corals under the broken one haven’t had any led in about a week.)
3) does it make sense in my situation to use the Ap9x + 1 360x + t5?

Pic for a better idea. It is an innovative marine 100 int.

Thanks!

IMG_5015.jpeg
Did you contact Kessil about the non working light? Their customer service is pretty good.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the good news about the AP9x is that the optics intentionally create a rectangular (24" x 48") spread, so you can place the AP9x directly in the center of where the two 360s were mounted. Since you have a working 360 still, you could also slide the ap9x to one side, and have the remaining 360 more towards the "empty" side. It's always a good idea to keep the T5 (or a LED bar) for extra coverage and shadow reduction.
awesome. Okay so I was thinking of putting it between the dead on (right) and the center one and just keeping the left one where it’s at. Sounds like a solid plan? Do I need to worry about reducing intensity?

Did you contact Kessil about the non working light? Their customer service is pretty good.
I did. These kessils are about 4+ years old. They are great to work with, my options were 1) send it in and that would cost $100 to assess +shipping +parts or 2) get a discount on a new fixture with a 2 yr warranty. Looking at least $150 to fix it for who knows how long was not worth it to me.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome. Okay so I was thinking of putting it between the dead on (right) and the center one and just keeping the left one where it’s at. Sounds like a solid plan? Do I need to worry about reducing intensity?

I did. These kessils are about 4+ years old. They are great to work with, my options were 1) send it in and that would cost $100 to assess +shipping +parts or 2) get a discount on a new fixture with a 2 yr warranty. Looking at least $150 to fix it for who knows how long was not worth it to me.
what is the length of your tank? I ask because you may want to slide the 360 towards the edge of the tank, depending, given the enhanced spread of the asp9x.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what is the length of your tank? I ask because you may want to slide the 360 towards the edge of the tank, depending, given the enhanced spread of the asp9x.
47.3" x 23.6" x 19.7". — I recently upgraded my tank, it’s one of the reasons why I am going with an Ap9x replacement instead of just doing the 360x again, due to it being more of a rectangle than my previous one.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
47.3" x 23.6" x 19.7". — I recently upgraded my tank, it’s one of the reasons why I am going with an Ap9x replacement instead of just doing the 360x again, due to it being more of a rectangle than my previous one.
got it! then yes I think you can leave the remaining 360 as is, but keep in mind the area under the 360 is likely to become a PAR hotspot, so you may need to re-arrange corals accordingly.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I actually decided to keep two of the 360x about 12” in from each side and the Ap9x in the middle. I should’ve rented a par meter, but here is my plan does this sound like it will light shock things?

Essentially cutting the 360x to half during peak intensity and doing the Ap9x at the intensity I had the 360x at.

Additional side question: any idea why people recommend matching the violet to intensity? I’ve been running at 100 for a few years now.

IMG_5059.jpeg IMG_5060.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just make the intensity the same across the board, but you'll have to adjust down a little since you have more lights/coverage. Plus, the ramp(s) on the 360's looks weird, why have the spike?

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just make the intensity the same across the board, but you'll have to adjust down a little since you have more lights/coverage. Plus, the ramp(s) on the 360's looks weird, why have the spike?
I did those spikes to make the ramp up the same and then when the t5 turns on, the extra light from the 360x goes to half. If I just have them do the same thing, how much should I reduce them by? Drop them all down by 10% and do 35?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did those spikes to make the ramp up the same and then when the t5 turns on, the extra light from the 360x goes to half. If I just have them do the same thing, how much should I reduce them by? Drop them all down by 10% and do 35?
You can copy/follow the same ramp time, but to peak that high for that short of a period is pointless. Just follow the ramp time to the lower intensity. The thing you need to match is color and the time it takes to change. Simply copy the AP9x program, but change the intensity on the 360’s, done!

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can copy/follow the same ramp time, but to peak that high for that short of a period is pointless. Just follow the ramp time to the lower intensity. The thing you need to match is color and the time it takes to change. Simply copy the AP9x program, but change the intensity on the 360’s, done!
Yes I fixed it real quick in response to your feedback. Still not sure how much I need to dial back the intensity or what to start ramping up to, but nothing looks too crazily ticked after a day of maxing out at 35%

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These kessils are about 4+ years old. They are great to work with, my options were 1) send it in and that would cost $100 to assess +shipping +parts or 2) get a discount on a new fixture with a 2 yr warranty. Looking at least $150 to fix it for who knows how long was not worth it to me.
Mine have begun crapping out at about the same age. Disappointing that the 360X seems no more durable than the older WE. Non of my 160s ever failed. Is the APx9 more durable?

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine have begun crapping out at about the same age. Disappointing that the 360X seems no more durable than the older WE. Non of my 160s ever failed. Is the APx9 more durable?
I can’t answer your question, but I gotta say the Ap9x is a night and day difference compared to the 360x. I didn’t think it would be, so my mind has been blown.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night and day difference how?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back