Tank Rim Cracked or Broken ABS fix?

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cursorily search came up empty, please let me know if this has already been talked about and I can delete from here and add to that thread...
This is how I used some ABS strips to brace a broken rim on my 150gallon tank. Please LMK if you have tried anything like this and did not work... hate to end up with a dinning room flooded :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can’t see any images but there are replacements available although a huge pain to remove.
It can be repaired with Weldon cement or even good superglue. It is more cosmetic than structural

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross braces are structural, the rest cosmetic. I’d worry about that level of abuse on a tank that have that level of trim damage.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect your fix would hold up and you probably wouldn't have any issues, but it's not worth the risk in my opinion. It's a basic rimmed tank that isn't even reef ready, I'm not sure how much they would cost new but I bet it isn't as much as the cost of replacing livestock and repairing the damage to your house if the tank broke after you had it fully stocked.

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still holding :)
Adding first pets to the tank in the first week - zero cycle - zero filtration.

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY thread, i bet everyone here, similar thought... I can't stand spending XX $'s when I know I can do it for less... deep into the project, looks like I spent about the same amount in creating the darn thing on my own.... well I may have spent it but if you watch this you can actually learn from my fails.
rim still holding strong :)
I started this with abs repair for top rim... looks like this might be ABS theme.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work on the repair job!
I think I would have just injected JB WELD (plastic) in the crack and been done with it. Those plastic rims are for glass tops and lights to sit on. They have little do do with tank integrity, ala, rimless tanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.0%
Back