Tank Smell

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!

After not quarantining my first batch of fish in my new setup, my fish contracted ich and were moved into a separate QT tank and treated for parasites and my DT tank went fallow for the recommended time. Just rock and sand in the tank.

Fast forward from 4-6 weeks ago to now, my fish are back in the DT and look as good and happy as ever. I added a bottle of dr tims before putting them back in the tank to hopefully minimize a re-cycle since I was ghost feeding during this time, but I still think I encountered a mini cycle unfortunately.

Where I am sitting now is that I have a pretty bad algae (diatoms) problem without nitrates present on my Hanna checker, and a lingering smell of the saltwater similar to what you would smell in a LFS or petco. No ammonia on the tests, but even after water changes can’t get rid of the smell. Is this due to no clean up crew present, or is it more attributed to it being a “new tank?” Have had thoughts about trying carbon on the tank, but don’t want to come reliant on that if I don’t have to. Any tips? Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons people run ozone is to reduce the "fishy" smell of aquariums. That will not eliminate the smell entirely but when I stand in front of my aquarium the only thjng I can smell is the mild sweet herbal smell from the Tunze glass cleaner. If I put my nose right above the waterline or into the sump the smell is of fresh saltwater.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum never realized fish tanks smell. Then again I cant really smell lol other than bot having a working nose I got nothing to recommend!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! I love the fact my man's room smells like the ocean most days. My wife begs to differ though

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!

After not quarantining my first batch of fish in my new setup, my fish contracted ich and were moved into a separate QT tank and treated for parasites and my DT tank went fallow for the recommended time. Just rock and sand in the tank.

Fast forward from 4-6 weeks ago to now, my fish are back in the DT and look as good and happy as ever. I added a bottle of dr tims before putting them back in the tank to hopefully minimize a re-cycle since I was ghost feeding during this time, but I still think I encountered a mini cycle unfortunately.

Where I am sitting now is that I have a pretty bad algae (diatoms) problem without nitrates present on my Hanna checker, and a lingering smell of the saltwater similar to what you would smell in a LFS or petco. No ammonia on the tests, but even after water changes can’t get rid of the smell. Is this due to no clean up crew present, or is it more attributed to it being a “new tank?” Have had thoughts about trying carbon on the tank, but don’t want to come reliant on that if I don’t have to. Any tips? Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
What you're describing is NOT a "mini- cycle"

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks do not smell at all - to me or my family (if my nose is no good). I am in a dry climate, so none of the extra smell added with humidity.

Ammonia in tanks can smell. So can exposed algae and rotting things.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it didn’t smell before and does now, have you considered it might be bacteria or dinoflagellates? Only time I can notice any smell from my display tanks is when dinoflagellate show up.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the responses! You guys are awesome! Yeah, the tank had no smell for the time that it was just the fish in there.

@The_Paradox not sure if this helps you or anyone else helping out, but I do have a weird “algae” problem. It stayed on my rocks even after months of the lights being completely dark with no fish. Now it covers some of the sand bed and still isn’t affected by a 3-4 day blackout. Nitrates and phosphates showing nothing. Not sure what the course of action here is.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the responses! You guys are awesome! Yeah, the tank had no smell for the time that it was just the fish in there.

@The_Paradox not sure if this helps you or anyone else helping out, but I do have a weird “algae” problem. It stayed on my rocks even after months of the lights being completely dark with no fish. Now it covers some of the sand bed and still isn’t affected by a 3-4 day blackout. Nitrates and phosphates showing nothing. Not sure what the course of action here is.

Photos would help a lot here.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos would help a lot here.
IMG_0321.jpeg

Bad timing, as I just stirred the sand in preparation for a water change, but here are a couple of the rocks.
IMG_0322.jpeg
IMG_0320.jpeg

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmate smell can sneak up on you, also. Whenever I do get a wiff of something rank 9/10 times it’s the skimmer cup…
I wish this was the case for me right now, but I have no slimmer online atm. Was told to wait a few months to let everything establish before using a filter roller and a skimmer in unison.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks pretty normal to me based on your timeline. Looks like some light cyano and diatoms but that’s to be expected. Personally I’d just give it a couple days to see if smells goes away… or you get used to living in a tide pool :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks pretty normal to me based on your timeline. Looks like some light cyano and diatoms but that’s to be expected. Personally I’d just give it a couple days to see if smells goes away… or you get used to living in a tide pool :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
I figured that was the answer. Some new tank syndrome or something. I am not a big fan of dumping chemicals in the tank, so I guess it will eventually run its course and I will just keep doing my weekly water changes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back