Tank stopped consuming alk?

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually my alk drops 1 dkh in 24 hours if not dosed. It’s been 36 hours and my alk has been 9 without any dosing. My calcium is still being consumed. have a 7 gallon nano mixed reef. I dose seachem and aquavitro. I’ve used 3 different tests. I also took my water to The lfs and had it tested.
77FDC4DB-1B6C-453C-A792-7A1D0F5CA643.jpeg
I

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened?

Possibly the dosing was lagging depending on what you were dosing?

Dosing isn't necessarily dosing the exact element, but instead a separate element that reacts with other elements in the water column to then make the element you want.

I'm doing more research on separate alk dosing on top of 2 part right now so i'm interested in what happened.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually my alk drops 1 dkh in 24 hours if not dosed. It’s been 36 hours and my alk has been 9 without any dosing. My calcium is still being consumed. have a 7 gallon nano mixed reef. I dose seachem and aquavitro. I’ve used 3 different tests. I also took my water to The lfs and had it tested.
77FDC4DB-1B6C-453C-A792-7A1D0F5CA643.jpeg
I

Test error or other coincidental effect.

There is no possibility that calcium is consumed without a balanced amount of alkalinity also consumed (2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm of calcium). :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing 8.4 aquavitro! It was raising my alk but not keeping it stable. Went to reef fusion part a and b and solved my problem!

Oh yes, it's just a medium pH alk supplement. Nothing special.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I had this happen for the past 2 weeks which is why the majority of my acros are stn'ing from the base and tips from high alk :( everything was stable previously

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply started dosing sea chem reef fusion and now my alk only drops .1 a day . The 8.4 yes rose my alk but it didn’t keep it stable. Would drop everyday a full 1 dkh. Rookie error. It’s a learning process

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I had this happen for the past 2 weeks which is why the majority of my acros are stn'ing from the base and tips from high alk :( everything was stable previously

Id think of it the other way around. Something is harming the corals and they stop calcifying, not that the stopped calcification us the cause of the STN.

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id think of it the other way around. Something is harming the corals and they stop calcifying, not that the stopped calcification us the cause of the STN.
I’m not understanding. My tank has not stopped consuming calcium. It’s consumed 2ml of calcification everyday since before I have solved my issue as well as current.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m not understanding your post. You said

“I had this happen for the past 2 weeks which is why the majority of my acros are stn'ing from the base and tips from high alk :( everything was stable previously“

which sounds like you meant they stopped consuming alk. And that Is exactly what I posted about.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m not understanding your post. You said

“I had this happen for the past 2 weeks which is why the majority of my acros are stn'ing from the base and tips from high alk :( everything was stable previously“

which sounds like you meant they stopped consuming alk. And that Is exactly what I posted about.

I understand what u mean. I think you quoted the wrong guy lol because I understand your explanation.

Back