Tank stuck during nitrification process. HELP

kensterp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I started my reefing journey on 9/18/23 when I first got my tank wet. I’m using caribseas life rock and caribsea live sand. I’m using stock media rack and stock filter cartridge that comes with the bio cube 16. I posted a previous thread where I was concerned with ammonia and nitrite levels. I’m past that I followed the advice everyone gave me and didn’t add more ammonia. So today is October 1st, and I’m seeing 0-0.25 ammonia, yet my nitrites are still sky high or at least over 5ppm. I’m also reading nitrates which I understand could be a false reading but I’m ready to do a water change because I’ve read places that’s the thing to do at this stage. Just wanting a little expertise from some experienced reefers on if I should wait out this part of the cycle and hold off the water change until nitrite is 0 as well or go ahead and water change to to reduce nitrites. PLEASE HELP!! THANK YOU!

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 0~.25 ammonia and nitrites and nitrates you’re cycled do a large I mean large waterchange and you’re good to go. Don’t go crazy and add 4 fish or anything one maybe two and wait for it to build more bacteria and 4-6 weeks later another fish.

OP
OP
kensterp

kensterp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 0~.25 ammonia and nitrites and nitrates you’re cycled do a large I mean large waterchange and you’re good to go. Don’t go crazy and add 4 fish or anything one maybe two and wait for it to build more bacteria and 4-6 weeks later another fish.
Alrighty I’ll do at least a 50% water change today and I’ll let you know my results in a day or two

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Agreed ^ Once I see nitrates I call it cycled and proceed adding livestock slowly.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing a week since started so assuming you used some seed like bacteria or established rock, I think your test kits are wrong. That tank would be cycled.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot accurately measure nitrate when there is nitrite present.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot accurately measure nitrate when there is nitrite present.
But, since nitrite is irrelevant in saltwater, the fact that ammonia is down and there is SOME nitrate showing, knowing the accurate amount isn't necessary

OP
OP
kensterp

kensterp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
So ammonia is definitely zero.(dropped the other test tube so I’m down to 3 lol) tank is looking cycled post water change. Lmk if you agree!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back