Tank swap question

WhoDey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapping tanks, no big deal done it before but this time I have a slight twist and want to see if anyone can think of potiential problems before I do it.

My new build is done and I am going for a minimal aquascape, the link has some pictures of the new rock work. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/me...stom-57-matching-frag-tanks-2.html#post556927

I want to break the old tank down tonight so I plan on taking the rock out and putting it in the refuge of the sump to serve as the biological filter until the new dry rock and sand takes off. The old rock has little in the way of nuisance pest, a tiny bit of algae due to my lack of flow, but it will be blacked out. The rock will be removed from the old tank, shook around in some fresh salt water and placed directly to the fuge. I am hoping I dont get a mini cycle this way and can instantly start to stock the new system with my current fish and corals. I will slowly pull the rock out of the fuge as time goes on.

I dont guess this is really different than placing the rock in the display itself, the refuge just has a slower turnover than I would like, probably 2x the system volume per hour. Would this be enough or should I ramp it up a bit?

Back