tank swapping advice?

Computom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I'm currently running a small reef system, about 25 gallons total. a 15 gal dt, 10 g sump and a small 3 gal refugium. I have an eventual plan to upgrade to a 50 gal and 40 gal sump with a much bigger refugium, but that is a thing for the winter, involving wall building and other more elaborate things than I'm able to do right now.
I did just come upon a 25 gal tank which is the same footprint as the 15g I have in use now. I can do a little shift a roo and increase my system capacity from 25 to 50 gal.
This involves full tank empying, including sand and rock and cheat from refugium.
So my question is, what do you think, does it make sense to upset the balance and stir everything up for a size doubling, knowing that it is only temporary and will be redone in 6 months?
In have several small corals, mostly softies and one little lps frag and snails and hermits and one fish. a firefish

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I would upgrade for sure. 6 months you may find you want more or less then your current. If you got the itch to upgrade and the wallet to fallow through, full steam ahead I say. Enjoy the build and update your build thread too haha

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I'm currently running a small reef system, about 25 gallons total. a 15 gal dt, 10 g sump and a small 3 gal refugium. I have an eventual plan to upgrade to a 50 gal and 40 gal sump with a much bigger refugium, but that is a thing for the winter, involving wall building and other more elaborate things than I'm able to do right now.
I did just come upon a 25 gal tank which is the same footprint as the 15g I have in use now. I can do a little shift a roo and increase my system capacity from 25 to 50 gal.
This involves full tank empying, including sand and rock and cheat from refugium.
So my question is, what do you think, does it make sense to upset the balance and stir everything up for a size doubling, knowing that it is only temporary and will be redone in 6 months?
In have several small corals, mostly softies and one little lps frag and snails and hermits and one fish. a firefish
Get new sand it's cheap. Match salinity etc and then move your rock & add it to the new tank. When I upgraded it all went smooth until I disturbed the sandbed and I got dinos like crazy after brown algae. once you make your choices on sand let it be and don't mess with it nothing good comes of it.

Back