*** Tank Talk with Top Lids & Avast Marine Giveaway!! WIN a Plank Autofeeder and Custom Lid for Your Tank!! ***

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good game gg GIF

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up putting both urchins in th sump because I was tired of them knocking things out/off. The sump didn't work for the Purple Pincushion though. He died. Unfortunately so did my skimmer.

IMG_20231202_143825145.jpg
Ouch
My urchin does a great job cleaning the rocks and walls but can be a pain in the butt with frags. He has bulldozed a few epoxied frags too.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, but I've also onky bought cheap no name ones. That might also be the problem.
My cheap Amazon feeders work better than my Eheim it seems like.

ctenophore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Reflect on the past year in your reefkeeping journey. What were your highs and lows? Any significant changes or additions to your tank? Share your thoughts and experiences as you get ready to begin another year in the hobby.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Reflect on the past year in your reefkeeping journey. What were your highs and lows? Any significant changes or additions to your tank? Share your thoughts and experiences as you get ready to begin another year in the hobby.
It has been a great year in reefing. Merging my two nanos into one office tank was a great move. Overall very happy with the tank

Highs: went from a wrasse skeptic to a wrasse lover. My tank is now wrasse dominant with 4 wrasses and two more on the way (6 out of 11 fish wrasses).

Lows: bubble algae and loss of my macros after fluconazole treatment. Complete failure to set up a frag tank. Loss of my beautiful pink Nepthea Koji Wada, probably entirely preventable.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading to my new larger tank has been a roller coaster of emotion. I went from being excited to almost losing joy in the hobby and contemplating calling it quits. I really wanted to start a new tank from scratch. My biocube was purchased used and already stocked. I dealt with 14 months of green hair algae issues from previous owners neglect. I thought by starting my own tank, I could avoid such issues. Joke was on me when I started getting dinos almost immediately in the new tank. I have been battling them since and it really has been frustrating. The new tank is rimless and finding a solution for the lid that wont break the bank and still be aesthetically pleasing, has been a challenge. I'm looking forward to new year and adding more fish to the tank and hopefully winning the battle with dinos.

I Hope Please GIF

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man... This last year has been my whole tank. I started setting up the tank around the middle of June 2022 but I dropped the first one (oops) and had to start over with another tank. I got the tank painted and started water soaking to check for leaks before bringing it inside. Then, right at the beginning of July my Grandma passed away so I quickly brought the tank inside and started the salt mixing and plumbing. Added a bunch of rock and about a quarter of the sand and added some bacteria to get things rolling while I was out of town with family.

I came home to a mostly-cycled tank so I added some more rock structure and the rest of the sand and gave it another couple of days to settle then started transferring fish and corals at the end of July. It's been a rollercoaster ever since! I've lost a lot of corals, lost a couple of fish, have had many thriving corals and some big old fatty fat fish.

My lowest low was just recently. On Christmas Eve my favorite fish went carpet surfing. Halichoeres Garnoti
IMG_20231115_102756692.jpg

My highest high? Probably would be my successful Birdsnest. I have killed many Birdsnest corals but this one survived and thrived!
IMG_20231225_130917980.jpg

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I crashed my tank to low nutrients and dinos in February.

I recently just got back to growing SPS/Acros. Super rewarding. I have some dinos still now, not completely gone but its a much healthier environment.

For another year in the hobby... geesh continue to learn to get things more stable...

I also tested par this year, and learned that my par is relatively low.

In the new year I want to dial in par and PH.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back