*** Tank Talk with Top Lids & Avast Marine Giveaway!! WIN a Plank Autofeeder and Custom Lid for Your Tank!! ***

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What are your reefing resolutions for the new year? Whether it's trying a new technique, adding specific corals or fish, or upgrading your tank's equipment, share your goals for your reef hobby in the upcoming year.
Mines a two-fold goal. First getting both tanks cleaner, less pest algae with better coral growth. Then to hopefully be able to move the tanks late summer halfway across the country hopefully. Wife and I want to move closer to family, but I dont want to get rid of my tanks.

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What are your reefing resolutions for the new year? Whether it's trying a new technique, adding specific corals or fish, or upgrading your tank's equipment, share your goals for your reef hobby in the upcoming year.
Resolution is to do nothing to the tank. Simply enjoy it.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Reflect on the past year in your reefkeeping journey. What were your highs and lows? Any significant changes or additions to your tank? Share your thoughts and experiences as you get ready to begin another year in the hobby.
Not much changed in my tank other than the addition of a couple clams. My wife did add her little mini me tank to the house.

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My New Year's resolution will be to get all the equipment I will need to get the new tank up and running as soon as I've taken delivery. When's that done, I'd like to slow down the pace and gradually start adding fishes, corals, and make sure the aquarium is successful.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much, just buying a new house to wrap the tank in.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Reflect on the past year in your reefkeeping journey. What were your highs and lows? Any significant changes or additions to your tank? Share your thoughts and experiences as you get ready to begin another year in the hobby.
So/so year. Ending of a tank and beginning of my largest tank by a long shot.
Waiting and planning. Planning and waiting. I have spent this year learning, and i hope to implement it next year. Bubble algea, cyano, diatoms. I hope to do better with better equipment.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a
Consistently. Im planning a maintenance schedule that i hope to keep. Simple and easy. Growth is my goal

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High was setting up a temp tank for the past 8months. Lows was losing a few frags along the way and fish. Experience being a new reefer and keeping SPS and a few torches.

Next years goal is setting up my Reef Savvy 260g tank and cycling it for the next 4-6months.

Last edited:

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing resolution is to set my Reef Savvy 260g tank and not turn any lights on for at least 4-6 months while cycling.

jucalondono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AVAST PLANK Top Lids Giveaway contest 4.jpg

Avast Marine and Top Lids are teaming up to bring you an awesome and fun giveaway with a bit of a different spin!! Welcome to the "Tank Talk with Top Lids & Avast Marine Giveaway!!" Both Avast Marine and Top Lids have established themselves with a reputation for quality and innovation that leads to epic excellence! We're proud to have both of these great companies as sponsors of our community, and super excited about seeing them come together for this event!

Now, I said this giveaway has a bit of a different spin to it, and here's what I mean... One of the things we love about having a community like Reef2Reef is that we can come together over our passion for all things marine and celebrate the wonderful parts of the reef hobby, we enjoy showing off tanks, talking through complications, finding solutions, and celebrating progress toward those thriving beautiful reef aquariums, and we do all of that together in community! Well, in this event, you guys are going to get to talk through all of these different aspects of the hobby with the guys behind these 2 awesome brands.

Each day, you will be given a discussion prompt (or sometimes maybe more than one), and your response to that prompt is your entry to the giveaway! It really is that simple! Engaging in conversation about reefing topics with @Avast Justin and @Top_Lids is how you participate and WIN in this contest!!

The grand prize for this giveaway is a Plank Autofeeder and a large bag of Reef Jerky (feeds an average size tank for 5-6 months) from Avast Marine and a custom Luxury Lid from Top Lids w/ Food Regulator!

Also, in addition to that grand prize, the great folks at Avast Marine and Top Lids have said that they will be monitoring the giveaway with the plan to award bonus prizes to people they see who are completely engaged with the contest and the ongoing conversations in here! So keep your participation up, and you could win cool bonus prizes!

Ready to get started? Here ya go!

HOW TO ENTER

OFFICIAL ENTRY (Required):
Make a post in this thread telling us about your tank and how you would use this prize if you win!

DAILY ENTRY OPPORTUNITIES: Here's how to get additional entries each day... Each day, one (or both) of the contest sponsors will post a discussion prompt. You get an entry to the contest by interacting with that prompt! (If there are multiple prompts, then multiple entries are possible for that day). Also, be sure to make ONE post in THIS thread for each entry. (Combined entries in a single post only counts as one entry.)

The goal is to keep the conversation going, learn and enjoy community, and win great prizes!!

BONUS ENTRY FOR R2R SUPPORTING & PARTNER MEMBERS: This is an entry option that is only available if you are a Reef2Reef Supporting or Partner Member. If you are a supporting/partner member please make a post in this thread stating that you are a R2R supporter/partner. Our partner member drive is currently open! Get more info HERE!!

THE PRIZE

Plank Autofeeder from Avast Marine + a large bag of Reef Jerky (feeds an average size tank for 5-6 months)

Feedercompletev3.3 copy.jpg
bags_be9014d3-c537-45cf-8938-b00a00480c7a copy.jpg

- 1 completely custom
Luxury Lid from Top Lids (max size of 72" x 26") + 1 Food Regulator with your choice of color

20230320_125059 (1).jpg

THE DRAWING

Entries will be accepted through December 22, 2023 (now extended to December 27th). We will choose the winner via a random number generator. The winner will be announced by Avast Marine and Top Lids in a special live stream on December 23rd (now extended to December 28th). We will post a thread for the live stream (and we'll include a link in this thread so it's easy to find). So be sure to join in for that drawing! (We will also tage the winner in this thread.)

Thanks again to Avast Marine and Top Lids for this awesome giveaway!

#r2rgiveaway
I just new about this, great to get those prizes, i need it.
i have a Prostar 150 V2, I will love to have a new lid for it.
the prank feeder will be a great add to my tank

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just new about this, great to get those prizes, i need it.
i have a Prostar 150 V2, I will love to have a new lid for it.
the prank feeder will be a great add to my tank
I assure you sir (or ma'am), the feeder is no prank - it is 100% for real.

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting my Nitrate in check. everything else is fine...Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Phos 0.17, ph 8 (i struggle to keep it at 8), Alk 8.3, sal 1.024, cal 489, mg 1200 (tad lower than normal) Nitrate 51.2, which is good for me. No ones dying (coral/fish) but I can't keep sps (which I want to) all leathers mushrooms gorgs, hammer plate coral duncan bubble. I tried everything, adding plankton, adding copepods, weekly water changes large and small (since gone back to changing either every 2 weeks or whenever evaporation causes a need to refill) cleaned filter. only feed frozen 1x a day only whats eaten in 1 min max (I even went to every other day for a week to see if it was food causing issue - again 0 ammonia & nitrate and low phos) i'm kinda at the point of - ok, no ones dying, give up on sps and let it be lol. 3 yr old tank, always struggled with Nitrate (and before phos too- not anymore) even when there was just one fish and a bunch of rocks. 55 gal hex, fluvial 70 gal canister filter, clown pair, sm coral beauty, watchman goby, sm gamma, green chromis, 3 nassarius snails, few bumblebee snails, 1 hermit crab very small, plate coral, 2 gorgs, 1 sun coral, wall hammer, sm duncan, 1 med leather, 2 mushrooms, sm bubble. very minimal algae but thats because the crab killed off the various snails I had (time to get a couple for the every minimal algae before its not minimal lol)

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High: no frigging flukes...I will never go to that LFS again. It was a long horrible journey to remove them from my DT once and for all. Low my Mata tang jumped...hard to find them at any LFS now.

Bobby105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A high was finally being able to keep acros alive and growing. Lows have been algae troubles and an aptasia outbreak.

Thoughts for next year are to make a plan to conquer issues in the tank and stick to it. Be patient.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lows, the dreaded dinoflagellates.

Highs, a LOT of wonderful people here helping me overcome the issue. I appreciate each and every one of you!

This year, I’m hoping to have it more stable and be able to enjoy it without stressing over little things.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a BTA that will thrive. I finally have a great light, so I think I can do this.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 174 71.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back