tank temperature

Manuel935

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to keeping corals and I know that they are sensitive to temp. my tank temp ranges from 79.5 to 80.4. would this be adequate to keeping corals safe? The tank stats are 210 gallon, 72x26x24, I would rather not buy a chiller and have heard good things about the tunze fans which would be a cheaper option.

OP
OP
M

Manuel935

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that range is fine. Generally 76-81/82. You don't want huge swings either way.

The temperature doesnt swing much, just from 79.5 to 80.4, I was just worried 80.4 would be too hot. But it definitely doesnt get anywhere near 82.

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to keeping corals and I know that they are sensitive to temp. my tank temp ranges from 79.5 to 80.4. would this be adequate to keeping corals safe? The tank stats are 210 gallon, 72x26x24, I would rather not buy a chiller and have heard good things about the tunze fans which would be a cheaper option.
You're fine IMO. Do you have a calibrated thermometer to check your tank with? Best thing I bought, ever. Traceable brand for cheap online. Clip on fan from store has more power than the Tunze which is actually a modified laptop cooler.

OP
OP
M

Manuel935

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're fine IMO. Do you have a calibrated thermometer to check your tank with? Best thing I bought, ever. Traceable brand for cheap online. Clip on fan from store has more power than the Tunze which is actually a modified laptop cooler.

I do have a thermometer, would i be able to put the fan in my sump, because i hate having clutter near the display. If it stays like this I may just buy a fan in case the temp gets out of hand one day but for now its been fine.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 79.5 maintained by a heater, or is your tank naturally that warm in your house?

If your heater turns of to maintain that temperature, you could turn down the temperature down to 77 - 78. That way, you’ll have more room for a temperature swing.

A 1 degree temperature swing, like you mention, is just fine for keeping corals of all kinds happy.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a post about this not too long ago. I live in the South United states and my apartment and AC are not up to snuff for the coming summer which is pushing my tank temp up more and more. Someone posted a pic of two Easycargo 40mm placed on the side of their tank just above the water. They came out to be about $15 for him and I am thinking about getting some as well.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting article I just found:

Apparently, the average coral reef in the wild experiences a daily fluctuation of 2-6 degrees.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting article I just found:

Apparently, the average coral reef in the wild experiences a daily fluctuation of 2-6 degrees.
yeah I just want mine to not go above 80degrees F right now.

OP
OP
M

Manuel935

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 79.5 maintained by a heater, or is your tank naturally that warm in your house?

If your heater turns of to maintain that temperature, you could turn down the temperature down to 77 - 78. That way, you’ll have more room for a temperature swing.

A 1 degree temperature swing, like you mention, is just fine for keeping corals of all kinds happy.

The tank is heated by the room temp, I have heaters but seeing as how I live in Miami they only turn on during the winter.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth my tank runs 79-81 with zero issues.
Trying to reduce the temp by .4° does not make sense.
I wish my tank had the swing yours does but im not sure it really matters in the long run.
Anyway went to Home Depot and got a $10 clip on fan. It only runs when the lights are on and now the tank runs 79-79.5. Its in the sump.
I run no heater in the summer, just took it out.
House is 75 in summer and 70 in the winter.
Here is the fan but be carefull as my evaporation went from 1 gallon a day for over the 10 months its been up to 2 gallons a day.
But, hey thats why it works lol.
20200524_132347.jpg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS tanks fluctuate 8-10 degrees F in a single day up to 85F or so and it doesn't bother them a bit. The article Knight linked to confirms this. Prolonged high temps can stress SPS, but that high range is likely higher than we think it is. Deep water corals are likely to be less tolerant of this, but the vast majority of stuff we have is equatorial shallow reef stuff.

Basically I have other things to spend money on than paying an obnoxious electric bill in the summer to cool my house when there's nobody home.

OP
OP
M

Manuel935

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth my tank runs 79-81 with zero issues.
Trying to reduce the temp by .4° does not make sense.
I wish my tank had the swing yours does but im not sure it really matters in the long run.
Anyway went to Home Depot and got a $10 clip on fan. It only runs when the lights are on and now the tank runs 79-79.5. Its in the sump.
I run no heater in the summer, just took it out.
House is 75 in summer and 70 in the winter.
Here is the fan but be carefull as my evaporation went from 1 gallon a day for over the 10 months its been up to 2 gallons a day.
But, hey thats why it works lol.
20200524_132347.jpg

Thanks this made me feel a lot better, I may buy one of those fans just in case but for now Im just glad I dont have to buy a chiller.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not about keeping the temperature at an exact degree, any degree between 77-82 is fine, I keep mine at 79F
Its about consistency like keeping it forever at 79F if you settle on it and dont let it fluctuate any way too much

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks this made me feel a lot better, I may buy one of those fans just in case but for now Im just glad I dont have to buy a chiller.
They work well and are the poor mans chiller lol.
I actually have a chiller but its just collecting dust.
Much cheaper to run too.
Only down side is you use twice the ato water.

OP
OP
M

Manuel935

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work well and are the poor mans chiller lol.
I actually have a chiller but its just collecting dust.
Much cheaper to run too.
Only down side is you use twice the ato water.

Im fine with that as I have a 30 gallon ato which lasts me close to a month before I have to top off, and i dont mind topping off weekly.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about keeping the temperature at an exact degree, any degree between 77-82 is fine, I keep mine at 79F
Its about consistency like keeping it forever at 79F if you settle on it and dont let it fluctuate any way too much
A 3° swimg from night to day is very common and wont hurt at all.
As long as its slow and steady. A swing from say 79 to 81 in 10 minutes is another story.
Agree that "stabilty" in your preset values is the key.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back