Reef Temperature: A second Look

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t recall what temps we kept corals in the 90s and have come to believe 78 the preferred value. Could just be I’ve heard so often that it’s become fact vs current thought process. Below is a live stream by Reef Bum with Jake Adams where he suggested we might be keeping them too cold. Mentions 82-86. I know 84 seems to be tolerated based on what others have mentioned yet considered 86 borderline bleaching event. Curious what those who were around during the halide days recall their temps being and how hot they ran their tanks. As well as those today running cooler LED yet perhaps purposely running hotter than 78 or inadvertently forced to experience warmer waters.

Learned something new. Iron helps defeat dinos. Something I started adding for other reasons during my recent outbreak and perhaps the reason it went away.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still run metal halide and try to hover around 80 degrees. Twenty years ago I remember them being 82-85 pretty much year round until chillers became more common.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still run metal halide and try to hover around 80 degrees. Twenty years ago I remember them being 82-85 pretty much year round until chillers became more common.
Any issues at 85? Recall most ran chillers with halides. Plus best keep pumps external. Everything was about offsetting the heat from those lights yet can’t for the life of me recall what temp most actually ran at

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake talked about higher temperatures several times, but I also remember an interview where he gave the water temperature range of the studio. It was low if I remember correctly( Colorado). 76 or so.
Personally, I run tanks in the 76-78 range. It seems like corals want to expel or consume zooxanthellae at higher ranges. I believe there is faster growth, but a higher tendency towards bleaching if something goes awry.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don't think the higher temperatures ridding a tank of Dinos was very repeatable.
I heard that a few times of using 84 but no clue how often it worked or purely anecdotal and perhaps some other changes why they were defeated.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues at 85? Recall most ran chillers with halides. Plus best keep pumps external. Everything was about offsetting the heat from those lights yet can’t for the life of me recall what temp most actually ran at

Most of the issues were invert related. Corals all did fine except mushrooms.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that a few times of using 84 but no clue how often it worked or purely anecdotal and perhaps some other changes why they were defeated.
From what I remember, some of the people it worked for were unable to replicate the results even in the same tank.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tank at 79 in winter and 82 in summer.
I do similar now, 78 winter, 80 in the summer, I rarely set the summer temp on the heater now it just runs around 80. When I didn't run air conditioning it would bump to 82.

To me it is more about a potential drastic change, like cooler in the winter in case I lose power....my tank dipped into the upper 60's when I lost power for 12 hours a couple weeks ago, but didn't experience any coral issues. I frequently have upper 80 and 90 degree temps in Vermont now, so the AC is on cool or dry mode, keeping it low 80's during the day.

I lost a tank to a three day 99 degree heat wave, no AC hooked up at the time....that was too hot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back