Bato367's Red Sea Max 130 Mixed Reef Journal

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All below is copied from my tank journal from Nano-reef.com:

Jan 8 2019: So I thought I would start this thread so I could post what I have done to this tank and post photos etc. Here is my used Red Sea Max 130 that I purchased a few weeks ago. It came with some spare parts and upgrades such as a new skimmer cup and surface skimmer upgrade. I went ahead and purchased a brand new return Sicce (Red Sea) pump upgrade as well as a brand new skimmer pump. There were two Red Sea heaters in the package and I am in the process of making sure one is at least reliable. One is brand new so it should be. I also thoroughly cleaned the entire setup and have even tried polishing out some light glass scratches with some success. For lighting, the retro kit from Nanobox Reef is on order and should be here in a few weeks. I will post some pics of the install so it may help anyone considering doing an LED upgrade. The system other than lighting will remain stock just as Red Sea intended other than the LED lighting. For what I want to accomplish, a modest but nice mixed reef, there really isn't a need to go over board with systems and devices. Some of the best tanks you see are built on the "KISS" principle. It's easy to caught up in the tech game, but sometimes less is more. Can't wait to play with the Bluefish Controller. How does everyone like their Bluefish controllable LED's? I plan on having this tank for several years until I can afford and have a place for my "dream tank". I am not even sure what that is yet but something like a 120-200 gallon in-wall with an attached fish room would be a nice dream tank. Anyways, here is a pic of the tank. The previous owner must of been meticulous as it included a huge 3-ring binder of printed stat sheets of fish and coral and how-to.

Jan 10 2019: I am having an issue with my RSM 130. I bought this tank used and good condition but went ahead and installed a brand new skimmer pump and return pump upgrades from Red Sea. The issue I am having is that the tank is running empty (tap water no life or sand) and it is running consistently at 86-87 degrees F without the lights or heater! My house is 71 degrees. Thus I am in the process of seeing if there is a pump that is not running right, putting excess heat into the water or if there is some other issue? If I can't get the tank to a desirable temperature, I may have to remove the hood and run an open top which would of course require me to run the Nanobox Duo instead of the retro kit. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? Should I pursue keeping the hood or ditch it?

I went ahead and turned on the cooling fan on the back of the tank and it is currently at a stable 84. The heater has no power to it currently. When I first noticed the tank was warm, I suspected the brand new heater is malfunctioning. Doesn’t appear to be the case. Tank has brand new cooling fan, heater, pumps with upgrades, surface skimmer. Nothing else to replace.

Who runs an RSM or similar 34 gallonish tank that is “open-top” can tell me about how much top off water they consume in an average day or week?

Do the upsides of open outweigh the closed top?

I like open tops but hate the massive evap and debris and dust that accumulated in the water over time. Evap is a big concern for me because I live where it is very arid 5-30% is the norm.

Jan 10 2019: Tank test running with tap water. Initially filled it to make sure pumps worked great and to leak test it (which it passed). That’s when I discovered water temp is too high.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:31 PM, Christopher Marks said:

"So the tank is overheating with no heaters or any lighting turned on? It must be the pump then, you should remove it and inspect the impeller inside.

Did you previously run the heaters? One or both could have been malfunctioning, and the tank will take some time to cool back down.

If it's not that, do you have a second thermometer available to verify your temperature readings? I have an inexpensive digital thermometer that I recently found wasn't accurate against my floating glass one."

Correct. But, with the "water cooling" fan running 24/7 it is now down to 80 degrees and seems to be stable there. I didn't pull pumps yet but I believe they are fine. I think it was due to the fan not being on. Even that little 12v fan seems to make a huge difference. Red Sea support responded and said this tank will run 10 degree fahrenheit hotter than ambient room temp. So right now my house is 71, and it is running at 80.5 using my floating glass thermometer. I only have 1 thermometer at the moment. So I think that is the issue. But, I am going to run the lights all day as everything was designed and see if it stays around 80.

Initially on the test startup, the heater was on. So naturally, I thought it was the heater. I disconnected heater and it was still 86-87 for 2 days. Only when I powered the cooling fan did the temp come down. The heater is brand new but I need to put it in a 5 gallon bucket and test it.

The problem I am worried about is that in summer even with my evaporative house cooler, the temp inside reaches around 76-78 in mid summer. That would put my tank around 86-88 which is no good. Thus, I would still be forced to remove the hood or install a chiller (which I will not do). I don't mind going hoodless but it forces me to make a net cover, buy a filter cover (InTank Products) and buy a different light. Overall, hoodless is more money and more top off water to replace...

What to do ...Trying to find a happy medium.

Thank you for your insight and brainstorming. Is your tank hoodless? How much makeup water do you go through in a typical week?

On 1/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, Christopher Marks said:

"I have a 2 gallon pico jar at the moment, but it faces a similar issue in the summer, as it has a mostly sealed lid and light on it. On my jar I plan to lower the water line in the summer so the light transfers less heat, and I'll have a temperature controlled cooling fan pointing at it.

If I were in your shoes, I think I would really consider going without a hood, and investing in an ATO (automatic top off) system to handle your evaporation. This way you can light your tank how you please and not worry about heat transfer, and your salinity will stay nice and stable.

You could modify the hood to add an additional cooling fan, or additional vents, but ultimately you'll probably still want an ATO system either way. Since you haven't bought a retrofit light kit yet, this is a good chance to change your plans."

Indeed. I am also leaning towards hoodless because the access to filter chamber will be easier. The original 130 hood only opens part way which is not convenient for doing anything in the chamber, hood must come off to even change carbon bag...

I did buy the Tunze nano ATO system. Not sure on size of reservoir yet. I am thing 5 would be good but it has to fit inside my stand (it isn't too cramped).

Tank lights have been on all day and water temp is still at 80.

Jan 15 2019:
For the analytical types I posted some of my testing results: I cannot think straight without writing stuff down and for that, Excel is my friend. My testing is for the most part, wrapped up and I've come to the conclusion why my tank heated is because the small Red Sea cooling fan at the back of the hood was not ON. It is a small fan but it removes a LOT of heat. So, if you are having tank temperature issues in the summer or anytime, create some good airflow with or without a hood! Worst case scenario for me in the dead of summer, I will open the front and rear lids and blow a small fan across the top of the aquarium. Should work just fine. I went ahead with my original order of the Nanobox Reef Retro kit LED lights. Can't wait, they should be awesome!

On 1/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, Weikel said:

"Man those temps seem way high for only running a pump and lights.. are you sure the temp probe you are reading is correct?? Have you double checked it against only temp device??"

They do! I thought my heater was stuck on initially but those lights get super warm. And with no fan, that heat just sits there and is transferred directly to the water. The heater is a brand new Red Sea and today was running perfect. Temps are stable when using the cooling fan. I did buy another mercury glass thermometer. They are both reading within 1 degree of each other.

Jan 22 2019: I started my tank this past sunday. I took my time with the aquascaping, added live Carib Sea Special Grade (which leaked out and I had to pickup from UPS; was issued a partial credit from Dr. F&S), and used cyanoacrylate to secure all the aquascaping. I let it cure 24 hours before filling with water so it is good and secure. The rocks turned out to my liking and allows for lots of corals, cover for fish and lots of holes for good flow and circulation. Tunze auto top off is working great. I have some Red Sea Reef Starter bacto coming as well as some ARC Coralline In a Bottle (pink and purple strains). This should start of the tank on the right foot. The starter kit also contains some "NoPox" which I have chosen as my method to ultimately control phosphates and nitrates. I don't want a sump with this tank and there is no room for hang on back refugiums etc. I want a low maintenance and low electricity-consuming tank and I believe NoPox will be a great solution to this. I may add a doser in the future for this so it is automated. I thought about a Santa Monica HOG1 algae scrubber but I don't have a lot of room for it and they are a little pricey. I also don't care to pull algae out of it week in and week out...Just my preference. Let me know what you all think?

Jan 23 2019:
I wonder if my stock (brand new) Red Sea heater intermittently failed (stuck on)? http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/regarding-red-sea-max-250s-heater-and.57737/ I have no experience with these heaters but apparently they suck?

Can anyone recommend the best heater for my RSM 130? Are there any heaters that integrate with Apex controllers and dosing pumps etc.? What is the most reliable and accurate heater? I've noticed my tank temp fluctuates about 2 degrees from night to day...

Jan 29 2019:
I am on day 7 of the Red Sea Reef Mature cycling program. I also added 2 bottles of Coralline Algae in a Bottle (13 total species of algae I believe). I ordered those from https://arcreef.com/. It is great that the proceeds also go to a good cause. Can't wait to start seeing nice colors of coralline start encrusting the rocks! Anyone else use these products?

Feb 10 2019: I installed the new NanoBox Reef Retro lights today. Loving them! Bright and crisp light. I have maxed them out at midday at 50%. From what I have read, that is what many others tend to run them at.

Tomorrow will be day 20 of 22 for the Red Sea Reef Mature kit. I am also starting to see small starts of green and pink coralline algae. So far there are a handful of hermits, a mithrax, a turbo snail, nassarius snail and a Lawnmower Blenny. They've been in there about a week or so. So far so good.

The bluefish app is a little laggy at times but overall it is pretty awesome. I am sure over time it will improve with each update too. I will also be fine tuning it for a few days.

I kept the factory hood because I have kids and a dog that sheds like crazy. Without a hood, the water would get nasty fast. I also live in an arid area so evap would be crazy and the amount of dust around here is always high. The Nanobox light produces nearly no heat compared to the stock PC lights. Excessive heat won't be a bear to deal with now in the hot summers. I also swapped the crappy Red Sea heater for an Eheim.

Anyone else running an old Max 130 or a new Nanobox?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All below is copied from my tank journal from Nano-reef.com:

Jan 8 2019: So I thought I would start this thread so I could post what I have done to this tank and post photos etc. Here is my used Red Sea Max 130 that I purchased a few weeks ago. It came with some spare parts and upgrades such as a new skimmer cup and surface skimmer upgrade. I went ahead and purchased a brand new return Sicce (Red Sea) pump upgrade as well as a brand new skimmer pump. There were two Red Sea heaters in the package and I am in the process of making sure one is at least reliable. One is brand new so it should be. I also thoroughly cleaned the entire setup and have even tried polishing out some light glass scratches with some success. For lighting, the retro kit from Nanobox Reef is on order and should be here in a few weeks. I will post some pics of the install so it may help anyone considering doing an LED upgrade. The system other than lighting will remain stock just as Red Sea intended other than the LED lighting. For what I want to accomplish, a modest but nice mixed reef, there really isn't a need to go over board with systems and devices. Some of the best tanks you see are built on the "KISS" principle. It's easy to caught up in the tech game, but sometimes less is more. Can't wait to play with the Bluefish Controller. How does everyone like their Bluefish controllable LED's? I plan on having this tank for several years until I can afford and have a place for my "dream tank". I am not even sure what that is yet but something like a 120-200 gallon in-wall with an attached fish room would be a nice dream tank. Anyways, here is a pic of the tank. The previous owner must of been meticulous as it included a huge 3-ring binder of printed stat sheets of fish and coral and how-to.

Jan 10 2019: I am having an issue with my RSM 130. I bought this tank used and good condition but went ahead and installed a brand new skimmer pump and return pump upgrades from Red Sea. The issue I am having is that the tank is running empty (tap water no life or sand) and it is running consistently at 86-87 degrees F without the lights or heater! My house is 71 degrees. Thus I am in the process of seeing if there is a pump that is not running right, putting excess heat into the water or if there is some other issue? If I can't get the tank to a desirable temperature, I may have to remove the hood and run an open top which would of course require me to run the Nanobox Duo instead of the retro kit. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? Should I pursue keeping the hood or ditch it?

I went ahead and turned on the cooling fan on the back of the tank and it is currently at a stable 84. The heater has no power to it currently. When I first noticed the tank was warm, I suspected the brand new heater is malfunctioning. Doesn’t appear to be the case. Tank has brand new cooling fan, heater, pumps with upgrades, surface skimmer. Nothing else to replace.

Who runs an RSM or similar 34 gallonish tank that is “open-top” can tell me about how much top off water they consume in an average day or week?

Do the upsides of open outweigh the closed top?

I like open tops but hate the massive evap and debris and dust that accumulated in the water over time. Evap is a big concern for me because I live where it is very arid 5-30% is the norm.

Jan 10 2019: Tank test running with tap water. Initially filled it to make sure pumps worked great and to leak test it (which it passed). That’s when I discovered water temp is too high.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:31 PM, Christopher Marks said:

"So the tank is overheating with no heaters or any lighting turned on? It must be the pump then, you should remove it and inspect the impeller inside.

Did you previously run the heaters? One or both could have been malfunctioning, and the tank will take some time to cool back down.

If it's not that, do you have a second thermometer available to verify your temperature readings? I have an inexpensive digital thermometer that I recently found wasn't accurate against my floating glass one."

Correct. But, with the "water cooling" fan running 24/7 it is now down to 80 degrees and seems to be stable there. I didn't pull pumps yet but I believe they are fine. I think it was due to the fan not being on. Even that little 12v fan seems to make a huge difference. Red Sea support responded and said this tank will run 10 degree fahrenheit hotter than ambient room temp. So right now my house is 71, and it is running at 80.5 using my floating glass thermometer. I only have 1 thermometer at the moment. So I think that is the issue. But, I am going to run the lights all day as everything was designed and see if it stays around 80.

Initially on the test startup, the heater was on. So naturally, I thought it was the heater. I disconnected heater and it was still 86-87 for 2 days. Only when I powered the cooling fan did the temp come down. The heater is brand new but I need to put it in a 5 gallon bucket and test it.

The problem I am worried about is that in summer even with my evaporative house cooler, the temp inside reaches around 76-78 in mid summer. That would put my tank around 86-88 which is no good. Thus, I would still be forced to remove the hood or install a chiller (which I will not do). I don't mind going hoodless but it forces me to make a net cover, buy a filter cover (InTank Products) and buy a different light. Overall, hoodless is more money and more top off water to replace...

What to do ...Trying to find a happy medium.

Thank you for your insight and brainstorming. Is your tank hoodless? How much makeup water do you go through in a typical week?

On 1/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, Christopher Marks said:

"I have a 2 gallon pico jar at the moment, but it faces a similar issue in the summer, as it has a mostly sealed lid and light on it. On my jar I plan to lower the water line in the summer so the light transfers less heat, and I'll have a temperature controlled cooling fan pointing at it.

If I were in your shoes, I think I would really consider going without a hood, and investing in an ATO (automatic top off) system to handle your evaporation. This way you can light your tank how you please and not worry about heat transfer, and your salinity will stay nice and stable.

You could modify the hood to add an additional cooling fan, or additional vents, but ultimately you'll probably still want an ATO system either way. Since you haven't bought a retrofit light kit yet, this is a good chance to change your plans."

Indeed. I am also leaning towards hoodless because the access to filter chamber will be easier. The original 130 hood only opens part way which is not convenient for doing anything in the chamber, hood must come off to even change carbon bag...

I did buy the Tunze nano ATO system. Not sure on size of reservoir yet. I am thing 5 would be good but it has to fit inside my stand (it isn't too cramped).

Tank lights have been on all day and water temp is still at 80.

Jan 15 2019:
For the analytical types I posted some of my testing results: I cannot think straight without writing stuff down and for that, Excel is my friend. My testing is for the most part, wrapped up and I've come to the conclusion why my tank heated is because the small Red Sea cooling fan at the back of the hood was not ON. It is a small fan but it removes a LOT of heat. So, if you are having tank temperature issues in the summer or anytime, create some good airflow with or without a hood! Worst case scenario for me in the dead of summer, I will open the front and rear lids and blow a small fan across the top of the aquarium. Should work just fine. I went ahead with my original order of the Nanobox Reef Retro kit LED lights. Can't wait, they should be awesome!

On 1/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, Weikel said:

"Man those temps seem way high for only running a pump and lights.. are you sure the temp probe you are reading is correct?? Have you double checked it against only temp device??"

They do! I thought my heater was stuck on initially but those lights get super warm. And with no fan, that heat just sits there and is transferred directly to the water. The heater is a brand new Red Sea and today was running perfect. Temps are stable when using the cooling fan. I did buy another mercury glass thermometer. They are both reading within 1 degree of each other.

Jan 22 2019: I started my tank this past sunday. I took my time with the aquascaping, added live Carib Sea Special Grade (which leaked out and I had to pickup from UPS; was issued a partial credit from Dr. F&S), and used cyanoacrylate to secure all the aquascaping. I let it cure 24 hours before filling with water so it is good and secure. The rocks turned out to my liking and allows for lots of corals, cover for fish and lots of holes for good flow and circulation. Tunze auto top off is working great. I have some Red Sea Reef Starter bacto coming as well as some ARC Coralline In a Bottle (pink and purple strains). This should start of the tank on the right foot. The starter kit also contains some "NoPox" which I have chosen as my method to ultimately control phosphates and nitrates. I don't want a sump with this tank and there is no room for hang on back refugiums etc. I want a low maintenance and low electricity-consuming tank and I believe NoPox will be a great solution to this. I may add a doser in the future for this so it is automated. I thought about a Santa Monica HOG1 algae scrubber but I don't have a lot of room for it and they are a little pricey. I also don't care to pull algae out of it week in and week out...Just my preference. Let me know what you all think?

Jan 23 2019:
I wonder if my stock (brand new) Red Sea heater intermittently failed (stuck on)? http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/regarding-red-sea-max-250s-heater-and.57737/ I have no experience with these heaters but apparently they suck?

Can anyone recommend the best heater for my RSM 130? Are there any heaters that integrate with Apex controllers and dosing pumps etc.? What is the most reliable and accurate heater? I've noticed my tank temp fluctuates about 2 degrees from night to day...

Jan 29 2019:
I am on day 7 of the Red Sea Reef Mature cycling program. I also added 2 bottles of Coralline Algae in a Bottle (13 total species of algae I believe). I ordered those from https://arcreef.com/. It is great that the proceeds also go to a good cause. Can't wait to start seeing nice colors of coralline start encrusting the rocks! Anyone else use these products?

Feb 10 2019: I installed the new NanoBox Reef Retro lights today. Loving them! Bright and crisp light. I have maxed them out at midday at 50%. From what I have read, that is what many others tend to run them at.

Tomorrow will be day 20 of 22 for the Red Sea Reef Mature kit. I am also starting to see small starts of green and pink coralline algae. So far there are a handful of hermits, a mithrax, a turbo snail, nassarius snail and a Lawnmower Blenny. They've been in there about a week or so. So far so good.

The bluefish app is a little laggy at times but overall it is pretty awesome. I am sure over time it will improve with each update too. I will also be fine tuning it for a few days.

I kept the factory hood because I have kids and a dog that sheds like crazy. Without a hood, the water would get nasty fast. I also live in an arid area so evap would be crazy and the amount of dust around here is always high. The Nanobox light produces nearly no heat compared to the stock PC lights. Excessive heat won't be a bear to deal with now in the hot summers. I also swapped the crappy Red Sea heater for an Eheim.

Anyone else running an old Max 130 or a new Nanobox?

Beautiful looking tank, very nice indeed!

And welcome to R2R as well it’s great to have you with us!

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's full tank shots. My saltcritters.com order will be here tomorrow! I may grab a digitata and/or birdsnest frag from a local and experienced reefer in town today. Saltcritters had the best prices, high quality and decent selection. Best bang for my buck that I could find. Anyone else use Saltcritters.com?

IMG_2977.jpeg

IMG_2982.jpeg

IMG_2985.jpeg

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now there is only a lawnmower blenny, royal gramma, springeri damsel (hiding) and handful of hermits and a few snails. Coralline is growing well and it's only been 3 weeks since I added the ARCreef.com coralline seed. Wouldn't start a reef without it. Plus, arcreef.com proceeds go to a great cause we should all be a part of!

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 1 Hydor Koralia Nano 565 gal/hr power head for circulation and the fairly powerful return pump circulation. Do you think this is sufficient flow or should I add another Koralia Nano?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and nice setup! I will say in my 45 gallon AIO with an open top I get about 1/2 gallon of evaporation per day.

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I added a Rainbow BTA, rasta zoas, orange oxide zoas, blue eyed monster zoas, and 2 heads of a purple tipped frog spawn! The frog spawn is rad. I check the tank before heading to bed and I see the BTA is already on the move. Hopefully he finds a good spot that won’t be a long term problem. Wishful thinking.

6745884E-5D77-470E-B8C1-1ED9F54EED9B.jpeg

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed some new corals yesterday and I am excited about these: Rasta Zoas, Orange Oxide Zoas, Blue Eye Monster Zoas, Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone, and a nice 2 head frag of Frogspawn! Shoutout to Colorado Reef Company of Fruita, CO. www.coreefco.com

I also spent some time installing my Hydor Wavemaker. My second nano should be here in a few days. While I was at it, I labeled everything and cleaned up some wires. Not the best, but it's definitely not a rats nest like it was.

IMG_3067.JPEG
IMG_3070.JPEG
IMG_3069.JPEG
IMG_3071.JPEG
IMG_3072.JPEG
IMG_3073.JPEG
IMG_3074.JPEG

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally setup my dosing pump. I bought a cheap little shelf and mounted in the stand for it. Dosing bottle is the Voss overpriced water bottle. Dosing kalk in the ATO and Nopox in the bottle. Finally cleaned up the wiring a little bit. All is set. Now we wait lol. A few pics of some new critters too. Sold my huge 4.5" lawnmower blenny and bought a tailspot blenny; he is much better suited to this tank. I could not keep up with the food demands of that lawnmower. Simply not enough algae in my tank to graze (thanks nopox). I also have some clown and various new frags (rastas, gatorade zoas, pink palys, red mushroom, green star polyps, radioactive green zoas, ricordea, and a pretty cool and unique coral a hydnophora. Tank is at the 8 week old mark this weekend I believe. There is some coralline growing in there since week 3 thanks to the Arc Reef Helix coralline cultures. This tank is off to a much better start than my first reef tank. I've learned the hard way: if you start off on the wrong foot reefing, it's an uphill battle, it's not fun, it gets expensive and your tank will always just be 'ok'. Hoping this tank continues to mature and grow into a beautiful reef one day.

Equipment 3-14-19.jpeg

IMG_3150.JPEG

IMG_3151.JPEG

Tank at Night 3-6-19.jpeg

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed my Bayite temperature controller and am thrilled that the tank temperature stays at a constant 78! I highly recommend a temperature controller...Also added a Mandarin Dragonette and a Flame Angel. So far everyone in the tank are getting along great and are fat & happy. Thanks again to Colorado Reef Company for some quality fish! https://www.facebook.com/coreefco/

IMG_3433.JPEG

IMG_3430.JPEG

IMG_3388.JPEG

Back