Tank Transfer Method

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't, but would love to learn also. However we did do the under water walk with the dive helmets as pictured.
upload_2015-8-25_12-15-28.jpeg
That looks awesome, I can do that. I will plan to go to Australia sometime my life. I always would joke that if America wouldn't be the best place to live that me and the rest would move to Australia, or new Zealand. Both are very beautiful.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So how do you qt for velvet and how? I have read where velvet is coming in more and more with wholesale fish. I saw a powder blue in a local shop that was actually scraping onto the rock bottom directly in its gill area. Just for learning what would you all guess that this fish might have had and how to treat? I am planning on ordering a few fish this week wholesale and trying to figure out how I want to qt them.
Thanks
Jeff

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you qt for velvet and how? I have read where velvet is coming in more and more with wholesale fish. I saw a powder blue in a local shop that was actually scraping onto the rock bottom directly in its gill area. Just for learning what would you all guess that this fish might have had and how to treat? I am planning on ordering a few fish this week wholesale and trying to figure out how I want to qt them.
Thanks
Jeff

Check out this link for info on QT for velvet. The stickys in this forum are a wealth of info on different diseases and parasites and how to treat. Give them a read as you get time for it.
http://reef2reef.com/threads/defeating-marine-velvet-disease.217570/

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting my first fish for the 120 in this week. never Qtd in the past, and got lucky with no issues, but decided with the restart, i wanna do things the "right" way!
deciding which QT method is gonna work out best for me, and thinking TTM might be the best and fastest. couple quick questions, with the TTM is the tiny amount of water carried over to the new tank "on" the fish, an issue? also, you dose the prazipro, on day 4 and 10, in the new/clean tank, correct? lastly, do you see much added stress during the TTm, due to excessive handling and transferring?

Adamwheel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, congrats on making a great decision. It's pretty gratifying to see truly healthy fish in the DT.

When I transfer, I use a net but many use a plastic colander. The goal is to transfer as little water as possible. Inevitably, a few drops will transfer with it.

I dose Prazi on day 4 (after first transfer) and I keep it going throughout the next 2 transfers.

I set up nearly identical environments in both transfer vessels. The fish almost immediately forget they've gone through anything at all and(even Halichoeres Wrasses that bury in pyrex containers) settle back in quickly.

Many clean with bleach. I stopped doing that and simply rinse everything out really good with hot water and then let it dry for 2 days before preparing the next transfer vessel.

I've had very good luck with TTM and would never go back.

I hope this helps,

Adam

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, congrats on making a great decision. It's pretty gratifying to see truly healthy fish in the DT.

When I transfer, I use a net but many use a plastic colander. The goal is to transfer as little water as possible. Inevitably, a few drops will transfer with it.

I dose Prazi on day 4 (after first transfer) and I keep it going throughout the next 2 transfers.

I set up nearly identical environments in both transfer vessels. The fish almost immediately forget they've gone through anything at all and(even Halichoeres Wrasses that bury in pyrex containers) settle back in quickly.

Many clean with bleach. I stopped doing that and simply rinse everything out really good with hot water and then let it dry for 2 days before preparing the next transfer vessel.

I've had very good luck with TTM and would never go back.

I hope this helps,

Adam

definitely helps and was exactly what I was thinking, just nice to get a confirmation from someone who already does it. Im planning on identical setup, 10G tanks, heater, ammonia badge, therm, PVC, and....airstones? i guess. was gonna do single tank QT with HOB filter, but the TTM seems a bit quicker, and I have all the major equipment, need a couple airstones and new therms. so, why not.

Adamwheel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it helped.
I'd save the ammonia badges for your cycled QT after transfer. If you want to dose Amquel or Prime (just to be safe) on day 2 of each transfer, that would be fine (I do). The badges are definitely not necessary. That'll save you a little cash too.
Good luck

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cycled QT after transfer?? you mean the DT? lol

i was hoping after TTM and prazi for two weeks, right into the DT. But i guess, should go into a cycled QT for another 2 weeks of observation.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cycled QT after transfer?? you mean the DT? lol

i was hoping after TTM and prazi for two weeks, right into the DT. But i guess, should go into a cycled QT for another 2 weeks of observation.

There are some diseases (velvet, brook, bacterial infections) which can take up to 4 weeks to manifest symptoms. Being TTM only treats ich, you should observe for at least another 2 weeks afterwards.

how big should the airstones be, if thats all thats in the tank(no wavemaker/filter)?

I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Pet-Products-ALE12520-Disposable/dp/B0002APU62

I like coarse air stones because they provide more surface agitation (i.e. more O2) but don't cause little tiny microbubbles. I hate microbubbles.
;)

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be added benefit (to avoid transfer of any free-swimmers caught up in the transfer) to do a short FW dip when doing the transfer?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woah. those are tiny! do you just use one of those per tank? Im gonna be using 20G high, as I have many of them.

One per tank, cranked all the way up. I personally just toss them when I'm done. You technically can reuse them, but I would allow for extra drying time as they do absorb water.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back