Tank turned 2 weeks old so filled with lots of coral and fish!

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good sign. My fish always follow me no matter which side, it’s almost pathetic! Fatties are always looking for more. That means they are comfortable in their home.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it - making a sump look like a nuclear plant with wire raceways and even under-the-cabinet mood lighting may make pretty pictures and reinforce someone's OCD complex, but it's the tank that matters.

It's a bit tough to tell, but I'm going to go with the skimmer as the primary source, since it doesn't look like you've a bubble trap between it and the return pump. The rollermats could be producing bubbles, but I'm thinking it's minimal and the bubble traps will take care of it. To diagnose, I'd suggest simply shutting the skimmer off for an hour. If the bubbles disappear, you potentially rig a filter sock or just a piece of filter floss below the skimmer's outlet.

OP
OP
Fiesty

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. Id agree with your diagnosis except only put skimmer in two days ago and bubbles there before. Still might relocate. I believe it may be the rollermats? First time using them. They might need to be mouted a lil lower in the water but just havent had time to chase it yet. After your suggestions prob be the first thing ill try. Need to finish the install of DOS to garage first cause definitely much to noisy to run in house.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - well if you're sure that it's the rollermats, you might have an easy solution. BRS sells some "filter media" that's made of polyethylene - here's the "extra coarse" version, and they have several other mesh sizes. I'm going to guess that putting some of this between your rollermats and the bubble trap would slow down the flow just enough to allow the bubbles to rise to the surface and not make it to your return pump.

OP
OP
Fiesty

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - well if you're sure that it's the rollermats, you might have an easy solution. BRS sells some "filter media" that's made of polyethylene - here's the "extra coarse" version, and they have several other mesh sizes. I'm going to guess that putting some of this between your rollermats and the bubble trap would slow down the flow just enough to allow the bubbles to rise to the surface and not make it to your return pump.

Thank u for the suggestion and will give that a try for hopefully a quick solution till i can figure out a more permanent one. I love this site! Everyone's so helpful and knowledgeable.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! And welcome to R2R! I'm new here as well, but have been active on another forum for years. Joining a forum is an awesome way to get even more involved with your tank and can really help when you're working through any issues you might have. Plus it's great to see what others are doing to have success and helps you come up with ways to emulate the same success in your own tank. I know the reefing community is not huge in my local area, so having an online community is nice.

I love the deep dimension tank. 36" deep gives so much opportunity for aquascaping.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back