Tank Upgrade - Add more primes or new lights?

JCrowe86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 3ft 65g tank but got a good deal on a 5ft 100g tank. I have 2 of the OG Prime HDs already so should I add 1 or 2 more, or consider a new lighting solution? I don't really have any issues with the primes other than I'm unsure of their output potential if I eventually go SPS heavy. Was considering going with a reefbreeders photon on the new tank. Thoughts?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a cost comparison of the two. Two more of what you have now vs a 50" Photon V2+.

I have the V2+ and they will grow sps with absolutely no issues. And Logan at Reef Breeders provides great customer service AND he's a sponsor here at R2R. So he's easy to talk to.

OP
OP
JCrowe86

JCrowe86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a cost comparison of the two. Two more of what you have now vs a 50" Photon V2+.

I have the V2+ and they will grow sps with absolutely no issues. And Logan at Reef Breeders provides great customer service AND he's a sponsor here at R2R. So he's easy to talk to.

Well cost wise obviously the upfront cost would be cheaper going with additional primes. I could probably find 2 more for roughly $300 especially used. However I take that $300, then sell the 2 I have now for the same price, then I'm not far off the price for a V2+.

I guess looking at the long term picture It may be better to purchase for the future and go with the V2+

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you they run very cool, make VERY good PAR in a 24" tank, look modern and my 24" V2 (not a +) is 3 years old and hasn't missed a beat!

And you don't see many Photons go up for sale. I just got a new 32" V2+ for a new tank and I watched the for sale forums for 3 months. I only saw a 24" and a 48" go up for sale.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to go heavy SPS, then I would suggest wide panels over pucks. Pucks can shadow and nearly everybody ends up with 4x T5s with an Aquatic Life - this is not bad since the T5s seem to add spectrum that people don't get using their puck-style LEDs.

If you want to look at a real-life user, therman uses RB panels over his tanks with 100% on ALL channels. You can scroll through this thread. Some of the amazingness is that he takes really good photos, but these are about as good of color that I have seen from a hobbyist SPS LED tank. He also runs then in a way that nobody else does and does not run a heavy-blue spectrum, which is why he gets some of the colors that he does where others do not. He is elite, but this shows what you can do if you run them like him.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back