Need new Lights

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So I need some help picking a new light for my reed tank. I currently have two Current USA Orbit marine LEDs. I know that Current is not popular, but I've had great success with them. However, one of the lights died and the other one is not enough for the tank. Unfortunately, Current also went out of business, so buying another won't work. I was considering buying an AqualIlumination Prime 16 or a Red Sea ReefLED 50. I'm leaning more towards the AI Prime, because I already have AI pumps.

My problem is the tank. My tank is weird. The dimensions are 30Hx22Wx12Dx (inches). The Red Sea says that the maximum spread is 20x20 and the AI Prime says 24x24... Neither one fits for the tank, however buying two lights might be over kill, and I really don't feel like dropping $600 on lights.

Does anyone have any experience with either the Red Sea or AI? Will one light work for my tank or would I need two? Or does anyone recommend a different brand?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with either the Red Sea or AI? Will one light work for my tank or would I need two? Or does anyone recommend a different brand?

No lights could be fine. What corals do you have? For 30” I would probably go with two import/no-name lights.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said, depends on the coral, but in my experience - no. You've gotta crank the channels on a Prime 16 HD to really get reasonable par out of it except on nano/pico sized tanks. The sliders go that high, sure, but it's not a focused enough beam to be supporting photosynthetic corals on the sand bed of a 30" deep tank in my opinion.

I'd consider a single Kessil A160WE specifically for the more focused beam and then mount it fairly close to the surface of the water(maybe 6-8")

But still, what coral do you want to keep? If you want SPS on the sandbed, I would be looking towards an A360X with a narrow beam reflector because 30" is deep for most fixtures and there isn't really space for multiple.

OP
OP
Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said, depends on the coral, but in my experience - no. You've gotta crank the channels on a Prime 16 HD to really get reasonable par out of it except on nano/pico sized tanks. The sliders go that high, sure, but it's not a focused enough beam to be supporting photosynthetic corals on the sand bed of a 30" deep tank in my opinion.

I'd consider a single Kessil A160WE specifically for the more focused beam and then mount it fairly close to the surface of the water(maybe 6-8")

But still, what coral do you want to keep? If you want SPS on the sandbed, I would be looking towards an A360X with a narrow beam reflector because 30" is deep for most fixtures and there isn't really space for multiple.

I have a mix of corals. Mostly LPS, Softies and colony polyps. I like the Kessil's but the price point is just too high.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you're thinking of the same Kessil. I'm seeing the A160WE as virtually the same price as the AI Prime 16 HD ($6 cheaper on BRS.)

It's not like it's the only option, but if you were discrediting it just for price, you probably shouldn't be.

OP
OP
Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you're thinking of the same Kessil. I'm seeing the A160WE as virtually the same price as the AI Prime 16 HD ($6 cheaper on BRS.)

It's not like it's the only option, but if you were discrediting it just for price, you probably shouldn't be.

I was talking more of the A360X, which you also referenced

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So I need some help picking a new light for my reed tank. I currently have two Current USA Orbit marine LEDs. I know that Current is not popular, but I've had great success with them. However, one of the lights died and the other one is not enough for the tank. Unfortunately, Current also went out of business, so buying another won't work. I was considering buying an AqualIlumination Prime 16 or a Red Sea ReefLED 50. I'm leaning more towards the AI Prime, because I already have AI pumps.

My problem is the tank. My tank is weird. The dimensions are 30Hx22Wx12Dx (inches). The Red Sea says that the maximum spread is 20x20 and the AI Prime says 24x24... Neither one fits for the tank, however buying two lights might be over kill, and I really don't feel like dropping $600 on lights.

Consider the Hydra 32

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame you’re not in pa. I’ve got 2 ai blades I may be selling soome

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you’re interested in led light bars I’d give quanta reef lights a try, relatively affordable, good quality, responds to questions in a very decent time manner, and a good warranty

OP
OP
Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up getting an AI Blade Coral Grow, as I have a AI pump. However, holy mother of God the AI app for lighting is a nightmare. I wish it was a little more user friendly

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like the led90 I've got.
Par is less than website states but they do crank out good numbers with whites raised.
My corals like them.
Spread is a little lacking for SPS dominant over my 24 wide tank so I've supplemented with a KESSIL which is another option to consider.

OP
OP
Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have the AI Blades grow, what are your settings set at? Do you have your own custom setup or are you using the factory settings?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back