Tank upgrade advice

painter1982

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
1,287
Reaction score
1,092
Location
82716
What state or country do you live in
Wyoming
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be upgrading my 60g sps tank to a mariner m130. If I transfer my water,live rock, corals, fish and invertebrates but no substrate what problems can I expect to have? The substrate in my 60 is too fine so I don’t want to use it. I thought of going no substrate at all in this tank. Or I thought TBS live sand or special grade reef sand if I did go with a substrate. How can I do this transfer without killing my sps. I won’t be able to have both tank up and running to cycle the 130 for a long period. Any advice?
 
Personally with sps I would take a small frag of everything before transfer just since frags tend to do better than whole colonies incase of the worse. I would also restart with sand you can go bare bottom but will be more difficult to get going. The rock if it’s very mature should be a good start maybe add some more live rock. You’ll most likely experience a mini cycle after transfer. Is this a 1 day type thing? If you can get some of your water in tank to start and cycle it that way with a Little Rock for a bit that should help cycle it before you transfer everything
 
Personally with sps I would take a small frag of everything before transfer just since frags tend to do better than whole colonies incase of the worse. I would also restart with sand you can go bare bottom but will be more difficult to get going. The rock if it’s very mature should be a good start maybe add some more live rock. You’ll most likely experience a mini cycle after transfer. Is this a 1 day type thing? If you can get some of your water in tank to start and cycle it that way with a Little Rock for a bit that should help cycle it before you transfer everything
It’ll be a one day transfer. I was thinking I’d use all the water I could from my 60g and all of the live rock from it. I have about 80 pounds between the 60g and also in my anemone tank sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new