Tank upgrade method

NorthStarReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on upgrading to a bigger tank from a 45g. What's a good way to switch over? Like cycling a new build, or just taking the current one apart and rebuilding.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let the new rock cycle for a bit with a kick start of bio media from the older tank. I’ll let the dry rock go through the ugly stages before transferring any coral. I dont reuse the sand till I have a chance to rinse it and by then, I normally buy new sand, so the old gets stored for another build.
My wife hates having an abundance of fish tanks around but she’s very understanding when I’m going through an upgrade. It gets hard running two tanks when you want to reuse equipment from the old to add to the new. But if you move your fish over then move equipment, the coral should be fine, just need the light and some flow.

hvalentino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys I also thinking the same upgrade... I have 2 small tanks with live rock and cycled already, and these are brand new like 2 months old, both of them, my question is, can I just use both sands and both live rocks and use the old water also (same salinity and temp) and dump that into the new tank? and use all the bio media, and the filters? for the new tank? I'm upgrading from 10 and 7 gallon into 40 gallon. And all the fishes are healthy and eating well too, I’ll probably need to add more water of course… and probably has to be saltwater with the same salinity and temp too correct? Thanks

OP
OP
NorthStarReefer

NorthStarReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I also thinking the same upgrade... I have 2 small tanks with live rock and cycled already, and these are brand new like 2 months old, both of them, my question is, can I just use both sands and both live rocks and use the old water also (same salinity and temp) and dump that into the new tank? and use all the bio media, and the filters? for the new tank? I'm upgrading from 10 and 7 gallon into 40 gallon. And all the fishes are healthy and eating well too, I’ll probably need to add more water of course… and probably has to be saltwater with the same salinity and temp too correct? Thanks
I would only keep some of the bio media to help with cycling, but the live rock also counts as bio media. If you plan on using old water, check the parameters first to be sure you actually want it.

hvalentino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would only keep some of the bio media to help with cycling, but the live rock also counts as bio media. If you plan on using old water, check the parameters first to be sure you actually want it.
And putting all my sands from my 2 cycled tanks should be okay right? And the rest of the water should be salt water I guess?

hvalentino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or you are saying I need to do a new cycle on the 40gallon?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back