Tank Upgrade Question

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125G tank now, I am getting ready to build a 250G, is that going to reverse the "maturity" of the tank if I transfer everything to the new tank? I'm not sure that I am asking this correctly.

I guess my question is, does upgrading to a bigger tank basically mean you start over in regards to tank maturity?

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read yes and no. There may be some die off, but as I understand it if you are transferring livestock, corals, and rocks (most importantly) then you should have zero issues and the tank will be considered cycled instantly. Im currently in the process of upgrading from a 10g to 90 gallons. This thread has been super informative for me, I hope it helps you too:

A thread tracking pure skip cycle instant reefs, no bottle bac

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 125G tank now, I am getting ready to build a 250G, is that going to reverse the "maturity" of the tank if I transfer everything to the new tank? I'm not sure that I am asking this correctly.

I guess my question is, does upgrading to a bigger tank basically mean you start over in regards to tank maturity?
Not really.

You will want new sand.

I've always saved as much water as I could from my old tank and used all the rock and added new.
I've found I will often get diatoms again.

Look through this thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back