Tank Upgrade

JLP82

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2026
Messages
17
Reaction score
16
Location
Clifton
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and came across a good deal on a 230 gallon custom tank and stand for $800. The person we bought it from was converting over to a fresh water system and was getting rid of his reef tanks. We cleaned it up sanded and put a fresh coat of paint. Completed the nitrogen cycle with live sand and only 9lbs of dry rock, 4 4”x 4” x 1” media bricks and 3 3” media balls, 800watts of heating elements to maintain 83° through out the process , no socks no skim just a return pump in a 20gallon tank as a temporary sump. Slowly transferred rock from our 120 gallon tank, ammonia dosed and monitored parameters over the course of a week. Stress tested system again after adding existing rock work. We just moved everyone over 3 days ago and everything is looking great.
20261004_184526_DDBBA682-673B-4EFA-859A-D1DBDAC751B1.png


20261004_190026_DDA748F7-5416-4CF4-8CA7-59D60F5A3243.png



20261004_190101_86B16033-F244-4DD0-A983-B6D9626D2D28.png
 
can i ask why you are keeping it at 83?

During the fish less nitrogen cycle 83°F to 85°F will accelerate the bacterias metabolism and speed up the cycling process.

At least that’s what I found through research.

Took 18 days, passed multiple stress tests. Ammonia dosed 2ppm, ammonia converted to nitrites then into nitrate in less than 24hrs.

After stress testing system I then lowered temp to 78°, stress tested again everything converted at the same rate/time.

Then validated that all parameters matched the 120 system exactly, and then transferred livestock.
 
Completely understand. Currently in the process of upgrading myself and dealing with a plumbing leak 😂
Hopefully you get it sorted my friend, I’m still working on plumbing. I also have all the electrical to do as well. I haven’t quite decided on what all I want to do, or how I want it done.
 
Great score, congrats!

Thank you, I am definitely stoked about it. For the longest time I was having to conduct extra maintenance to keep everything in check due to bio-load in the 120gal. I’m curious to see how well this tank will handle things.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new