Tank upgrade

Austin J Vatalaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just got back into the hobby after a few years due to my 75g reef tank breaking in the process of moving it. My question is; I currently have a 20 gallon all setup and going on my 3rd week of cycling and already regretting not going bigger to begin with because my stocking ideas are very limited. Can I add a few fish and inverts into my tank and maintain it for a few months and then transfer it all into a 55g down the road without any issues? Or am I better off turning the 20g into a 55g right away?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :D

You could do that as long as the fish are small and get along well together in limited space. I would not pack it full of fish though. You could also start off on the right foot by using the 20 as a quarantine tank since it takes a while to quarantine fish. By the time they are ready you could have your 55 set up and ready for fish.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9FD062D2-A056-40EE-9427-C47E48A9E0D8.gif

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Bigger is better (more forgiving), but do whatever you’re comfortable with.

Keep us posted with your build with tons of photos, in any event! :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also start off on the right foot by using the 20 as a quarantine tank since it takes a while to quarantine fish. By the time they are ready you could have your 55 set up and ready for fish.

This was my exact thought! Perfect, have your QT all ready to go.

Welcome to R2R!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for the questions as it has already set you up for greater success. :)

One other thing to consider....a 75g

A 75g will really make a huge difference with it not being as narrow as the 55g. You would not be disappointed and have years of enjoyment. :)

Just a thought.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This support group will always have your best interest at heart. We will ALWAYS advocate for bigger better tanks to fuel your addiction! :) I like the idea of upgrading and using the 20 gallon as a QT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not only " Bigger is better", but the larger tank will be more forgiving and have larger capacity for use and stocking.
Now is also fitting to Welcome you to the group.

Welcome-To-The-Group-Rainbow-Text-Picture.jpg

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred my stuff over from my 60 to my 210. 55 is a great size, but if you want a 48" tank, why not just purchase a 75 while you are at it -- or a 90. Oooh! You could just purchase a 120! See...we can do this all day. ;) Just don't overstock your 20 with livestock -- but you can add some extra rock to it to get the cycling process started and ready for the transfer. I had about 100 lbs of already cycled rock ready to go in my 60 when I set up my 210. Then I attached a canister filter to it for a few weeks that was also already running on my 60. My tank cycled really quickly because of all of this. After it cycled, I pulled off the canister filter and it was ready to go. Welcome to R2R! You are going to love it here.
Deadpool.gif

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back