Tank upgrade

nolanp489

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading from a 70 gallon tank with canister filter that Ive had going for about a 10 months to a red sea reefer 350 that I got used for a great deal that was about a year old in great condition. My question is though should I use my canister filter that I have on my old tank on the new tank to help keep the tank cycled for a new weeks until the bacteria establishes in my new tank or will just my old live rock be enough? I have probably at least 60lbs of live rock. I'm also replacing the substrate. I wanna be able to just move all my live stock and rock over all at once without killing them. I don't have any corals yet. The tanks are about the same size but the reefer 350 obviously has a sump so there is more water volume. If I could get some advice on this it would be great.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,yes and yes,and agree w not using substrate,or last bit of water in old tank when too dirty to see through,start a build thread so we can follow,happy reefing :)

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and you could just move the media from the old canister into the sump of the new tank but rock should be sufficient. I also agree to getting new sand.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think run can as is for a couple of days ,then poss move media to sump,water will be pretty debris full after moving rock,and new sand

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back