Tank Upgrade

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good morning fellow reefers,

I currently have a standard 75G in my basement, thinking of upgrading to a custom 8ft tank from Custom Acrylic Aquariums located next door to reef gallery. Has anyone purchased from these guys and how has your experience been overall? any tips for the upgrade would also be helpful, this will be the first acrylic tank i will have, so anything to keep in mind?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen an acrylic tank that isnt majorly scratched up. It Is true that you can sand and buff scratches out, but if they are deep it will lead to distortion. Obviously glass scratches as well but not nearly as easily. I personally would never purchase an acrylic tank.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I would only use acrylic for sumps or like a frag tank but not an actual display. Maybe if you go bare bottom you might be OK.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep me posted on that 75. I might take it. I just rescued a red eared slider that got hit by a car and I can't release since its an invasive species. So she's going to need a home.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d also suggest only a Glass tank, I have a new display 210g 72x30x22 Custom Built from AGE coming in with their signature PVC bottom. Should be great for barebottom! Even just trying to scrape some coralline can scratch acrylic. Only use of acrylic i use is in sumps, my Big Bashsea sump is acrylic which is different as it won’t be getting scraped and his quality and clarity even for a sump is the best in the hobby. My frag swap frag tank from Advanced acrylics, is acrylic I went with acrylic for weight savings and once again very good quality using museum quality acrylic is very clear and only 6 inches tall so only top down viewing as well.

OP
OP
AshwinRavi

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep me posted on that 75. I might take it. I just rescued a red eared slider that got hit by a car and I can't release since its an invasive species. So she's going to need a home.
I was going to turn the 75 into a DIY sump, will let you know if I change my mind.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back