Tank Ventilation

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an acrylic tank (build thread in DIY section). Between the 3 braces that I ran from front to back, across the top opening, and the 2 hinged doors that will be going on, the tank will basically be completely enclosed.
Originally I designed the tank so I could keep octopus without having to worry about them escaping. I still would like to have one, but now I want to incorporate coral. I know that Octopus are notorious rearranges and only certain coral should be kept with them, but they have a short life span, so after I have one or two I’d like to add more coral.
Will the fact that the top of my tank is “sealed” have an adverse effect on temperature, water chemistry, salinity, or anything else essentials to a health reef tank? Should I create some screen protected holes for better ventilation?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my tanks covered with no problems mostly to cut down on humidity. I feel that the water gets enough gas exchange going through the sump. The covered display holds the temperature steady and less water lost through evaporation which means less top off to maintain salinity.

OP
OP
Guns286

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read that, about less water evaporation. Ok, like anything else, I’ll keep an eye on it, but it helps to know that it doesn’t seem to effect other tanks. Thanks.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be hard to keep the tank cool, a cooler tank being what I understand is better for an octopus. I saw a post once where a hitchhiker octopus took town a tank by blocking the overflow causing a flood and then an electrical fire or something. So - put in two overflows that are impossible to block of simultaneously!

Edit, now I went back and found that post, I think, and it was a plumbing mishap not related to the octopus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Guns286

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be hard to keep the tank cool, which I understand is better for an octopus. I saw a post once where a hitchhiker octopus took town a tank by blocking the overflow causing a flood and then an electrical fire or something. So - put in two overflows that are impossible to block of simultaneously!
Sounds like fun
I have 2 holes in my overflow, plus I plan on putting a removable screen across the top of it so nothing should be able to get inside. But, thanks for the advise.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back