Tankmate for Snowlfake eel?

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good tankmate for a snowflake eel? I know it has to be a predator tank and a guy at my lfs reccomended a Rhinopious? they go for like 350 he said... And I dont have money to blow on one. It has to be(obviously) something the Eel CANNOT eat.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My freid had a snow flake in a reef tank with many other fish. Also they are not bad with other fish as long as you dont have a very big one. But he has a larger one and never bothered any smaller fish. LA says there fine with most ifsh.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup snowflake eels eat crustaceans, their teeth are blunt to crack shells, unlike morays that have very sharp teeth, to catch fish with.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind jus hand feet it often so it doesn’t feed the need to go after its own food.

OP
OP
R

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think It would kill a small Damsel? and it Wont do well with a clean up crew? I'm just wondering becauseuz I'm getting a snowflake this weekend for my 60gallon tank. And I heard it will only be compatable with fast growing euphylia? (corals like branching hammer or torch)

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a Snowflake in my reef tank once and it developed a taste for clam gills, it preferred my most favorite clams first too:xd:

I would say put it in with a lion and a nice trigger.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started in saltwater many moons ago, my first tank had a snowflake eel, dwarf lion, picaso trigger and two domino damsels. The snowflake eel ended up eating one of the damsels but then left the other one alone when I fed it more. I was just feeding the tank and the trigger, damsel and lion would get all the food/fish first. It hardly ever came all the way out of its burrow when I fed it regularly by feeding all the fish and eel individually. My dwarf lion ended up eating the other damsel a couple months later.

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
triggerfish, lionfish, tang, rabbitfish, foxface any of these fish would be fine with a snowflake eel...

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 38 33.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back