tap water on live rock?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is a pretty straight forward question. I have a few pieces of LR in a new setup, about 7 months.
I want to scrub the algae off of these 3 pieces. I plan to remove these large pieces from the tank. I might even give them a peroxide dip as well. So after I scrub this rock can I "briefly" rinse this rock off with tap water? thanks

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not because then you are introducing elements in your tap water to your rock.. chlorine many metals and whatever else that is in your pipes coming for your water source.

Use only RODI water.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is a pretty straight forward question. I have a few pieces of LR in a new setup, about 7 months.
I want to scrub the algae off of these 3 pieces. I plan to remove these large pieces from the tank. I might even give them a peroxide dip as well. So after I scrub this rock can I "briefly" rinse this rock off with tap water? thanks
I think a better suggestion might be to add a few snails or a lawnmower blenny to take care of the issue. Algae of one sort of another is a common issue in relatively new tanks. Almost ALL tanks go through the "new tank uglies" to some extent.
Scrubbing and rinsing of live rock should only be a last resort. If you are talking about things like hair algae or Bryopsis, you need to look to the root of the problem, and take corrective measure.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're gonna peroxide dip them, just leave them in the peroxide water for 48 hours and give them a shake after. The peroxide will have all oxidised by that point, leaving only water behind... no need for an extra rinse. If using peroxide, I wouldn't even scrub them tbh.

It works great for getting rid of all algae, including bryopsis, but will effectively render the rock dead... so you'll have a mini cycle once you put it back in.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is old rock that I cooked in blacked out totes for almost 9 months. scrubbed & water change pretty much every two weeks. My no3 &po4 levels were undetectable (at least the kits I used couldn't read any ) I was confident it was gone for good. I'd rather scrub the rock instead of relying on fish or snails. at least until the much slower anaerobic bacteria can catch up. the ha is even growing on the new sand and dry base rock. I'm not sure what I will do yet but I must do something soon. Thanks for the OP's Are there anymore?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fine imo.
I scrub my rock in old tank water with peroxide and rinse with the hose in an other bucket.
The tap water tds here is a bout a billion and smells like bleach.
I use another bucket of old tank water and let it rest with a power head though and add bacteria.

You probably have a really good head start on aberibic bacteria.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's Salty, YA think a short peroxide dip will kill " all" good bacteria? I was thinking maybe 5 minutes. This tank is slowly being taken by HA. I've not seen a new tank breakout like this so soon. It's coming on the back glass ,some on a few rocks and back glass and sand bed. I found some on the gyres ! I have 6 blackbox 165 w lights on this tank. I run only 1 at each end for 2 hours a day. I'm going to cut that to 1 hour. I fired up the skimmer also. It is time for snails and a refugium. That's why I'm looking for a" good" ref light. I tired of sissy footin around with poor ref lights. I want this light to outperform the display lighting. I could black out the tank for a couple of days. The neighbors are pair of clowns. They wouldn't like it but still be OK. I hear I could even dose the whole tank with peroxid ! Last test on the 14th I had No3 or 4 Po4 zero.
Please anybody with ideas on how to keep this HA from taking over ! Thanks

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A think a short peroxide dip will kill " all" good bacteria
I hope not. I've done it three times in my 30g

Let's take a look at the algae too. Could be something easy or something NOT easy.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure Salty, I can answer just about any question about this tank Ya want. Sorry I don't have the steam to come up with any theories . just tired tonight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm feelin better tonight. So concerning this cursed HA on the rock. I just scrubbed it off real good,rinsed in new seawater & applied some peroxide with a turkey baster to the affected areas . they are soaking in another barrel of new water . I'll put them back in tomorrow. As for "why" the algae is popping up? I think, it's from Po4 leaching from some of this old rock & live sand. Even some new dry base is showing a few small patches. There is also a lot of tiny patches growing on the back glass! I don't dare scrub it off . All those tiny sprouts would just float around and spread all over the tank. So I gotta kill it where it's at. I'm surprised how little light this stuff needs. The back glass is covered with plastic cardboard stuff .( like a big budweiser sign Ya see at the store. I cut it to fit and painted it black ) . Zero light getting in from that direction. Very little light getting in from the front. It's like twilight at that end of the family room. I realize the tank is still young and will go thru it's phases however I "must" keep this Ha from getting a foothold. I believe that the anaerobic bacteria that lives in the rock has to change the the nutrients floating around in the water before it can eat it and grow. While the algae can just take it in as is. So it can grow much faster and take over . If I don't get a handle on this now ,I'll always have algae problems. I do run 2 lights at opposite ends for 2 hours a day . I plan to cut lights on to just 1 hour a day. so I can see in there at least and get some snails . Last test on the 23rd showed No3 at 5 Po4 at zero .
Thanks for following along. All OP's are welcome !

On a side note, after installing the T5 fixture over the 75,the corals have responded very well however even though I can't find any No3 or Po4, the Ha is overrunning the sand bed. so it's coming out ! I've never run a bare bottom . Why not give a try?

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back