Target feed snails?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by elisa h, Nov 10, 2017.

1. elisa h

elisa h Well-Known Member

I bought 7 snails yesterday-4 florida turbo and 3 nerite. I currently only have one fish in my 90 gallon but I feed him 2-3 times a day. At the least before I go to bed and in the morning before I leave. There is some algae in the tank on the back glass where some sunlight peeks through and a patch of algae on one of my rocks. None of the snails have found it and I'm worried they'll starve. I do have one piece of live rock to seed my tank with coraline but the rest is dry. Should I be worried about my snails not having enough food? Is there any way to target feed them? I'm getting my reefbreeders light in the mail next week so soon my tank will probably start growing more algae for them to eat! I would just feel so bad if they starved in the meantime though.

Tags:

2. Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39 Well-Known Member

You can grab an algae covered rock from the ocean and put it in there for them to eat! Probably will introduce some other good bonus life as well.

elisa h and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  3. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Your right. You should feed them. A flake food that sinks is good. Alge tabs. Stuff have or will use later.

elisa h likes this.
  4. Daltrey

Daltrey Well-Known Member

I Would just place them all on the rock with the algae. I put some nori around a small piece of rock with a rubber band then placed it into the aquarium for my snails. They are the bigger ones though a Mexican turbo and Margarita snails both the size of a golf ball but I don't think they touched it.

elisa h likes this.
  5. elisa h

I was thinking about just moving them on to the algae rock but they suction pretty strong and I was afraid of hurting them. I'm probably just being a baby though lol. The nerite really like chilling on my overflow for some reason. The turbos are all on the one piece of live rock in my tank

6. elisa h

I might try putting some nori on the rock next to them. I plan on getting a kole tang at some point so I'll need it anyways. I've tried flake but I think the flow in my tank is too strong to let the flakes stay on the sandbed. I'll try to find some type of tab that is heavier

7. elisa h

I wonder, for an established tank without algae, what do the snails eat? Can they pick up other things off live rock?

8. Daltrey

How long has your tank been up and running? Do you have any lights on it now?

I've had my snails for a few months and I tried to feed them once with the nori and they didn't touch it. The margarita and mexican turbo run circles around my 6 foot tank and the astreas have each stayed on the rocks I placed them on.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  9. Daltrey

You wont hurt them by moving them to the rock. Just take your time and slowly pull on them until they release. They will clean up your rock in no time.

I only keep six snails in my clean up crew for my 155 gallon tank.

20171111_090331.jpg

20171111_090442.jpg

20171111_090404.jpg

10. elisa h

My tanks only like a month old. I don't have any lights on it yet but I've been opening the blinds behind everyday so a lot of sunlight comes in

11. elisa h

[​IMG]
    One of them finally found some algae!

Draft saved Draft deleted