Taylor’s first saltwater tank a 50g mixed reef

Taylor Hahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always loved fish and aquatic life, and have many freshwater tanks for 10+ years but have always been scared/apprehensive about doing a saltwater tank. I guess I have always imagined that it was vastly more complicated and a lot more maitenance overall. But I have a friend who does saltwater reef tanks and he convinced me to try one out and I finally did. But wow once I started it was absolutely crazy how quickly I was addicted and although there might be a little more maintenance and water quality checks than my freshwater tanks it is also much more fun and I quickly got addicted to all the colors of the corals and fish. But anyways here is my first tank and it needs a lot more work as I am working with a very tight budget and the tank was from my house’s previous owners. But I am learning as I go and having fun doing so.

E1366699-0FD2-4FDD-A47F-2AA4AC621A01.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Taylor and welcome to Reef2Reef!

welcome 3.jpg

You've been around these forums for a while, so I will assume you won't be shy and will ask questions when you have them.

So how big is the new tank and what are you thinking about putting in it?

You're right, saltwater is a bit more involved, but technology improvements over the last 20 years have made it MUCH easier. Just remember that there are a lot of different paths to success here, so don't let anybody tell you there is only one right answer.

You said you like the color in a saltwater tank. So I went crazy with mine and did almost all corals and anemones that fluoresce under blue leds. At night, with the lights off in the house and strong blue leds over the tank, it's just crazy colorful!

2019-01-10 09.51.04.jpg

OP
OP
Taylor Hahn

Taylor Hahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Taylor and welcome to Reef2Reef!

welcome 3.jpg

You've been around these forums for a while, so I will assume you won't be shy and will ask questions when you have them.

So how big is the new tank and what are you thinking about putting in it?

You're right, saltwater is a bit more involved, but technology improvements over the last 20 years have made it MUCH easier. Just remember that there are a lot of different paths to success here, so don't let anybody tell you there is only one right answer.

You said you like the color in a saltwater tank. So I went crazy with mine and did almost all corals and anemones that fluoresce under blue leds. At night, with the lights off in the house and strong blue leds over the tank, it's just crazy colorful!

2019-01-10 09.51.04.jpg

Wow amazing tank man just so colorful! I need to get a better camera and work on my photos as I can’t seem to capture anything worthwhile. I have a 55g tank and right now just having it as a mixed reef tank. But everything so far has been good with this tank

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That photo of my tank was shot with my old Samsung Galaxy S6 and shot through some yellow cellophane as a filter with all the blue leds on.

OP
OP
Taylor Hahn

Taylor Hahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ok so a yellow filter will help with the colors. Do you know why I have some zoanthids that do great and others that just won’t open? I try to do an iodine dip on those that don’t open if it continues for a few days but it doesn’t always work

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome49.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back