TBS Based Rock Flower Anemone 2 Gallon Pico Tank Questions??

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Just an update: I placed an order with TBS last week :) Although they could get it to me sooner, I opted for a November 13th delivery date, just to give me a little more time to get ready....... This will be my first saltwater tank in many years, I'm beyond excited to see what comes on the rocks and in the sand, and I want to do my best to keep them alive long-term (as far as the organisms that will live long-term in an aquarium (or more specifically, MY aquarium - fingers crossed!)).

I want to first mention that I reached out to TBS by email with no less than 1000 questions. I found them to be VERY communicative. We went back-and-forth for some days, and they were really willing to answer my questions, even considering that my order is likely pretty small potatoes for them.

I ended up ordering three of their small Treasure Chest packages - The Mantis Box, Sand and Rocks Box, and their Pico Package.

All told I'm getting:
6 pounds of nano-sized premium rock​
8 pounds of nano-sized base rock​
17 pounds of live sand​
1 N. wennerae Mantis - pretty excited for this guy!​
A handful of snails, hermits, etc.​

Although you can have these packages shipped directly to your door via UPS for the tune of $86 each package, I opted for the air freight option. Formerly, I had been skeptical of this option; I assumed it was expensive, and I was put off by the idea of having to drive to the airport to pick it up.

However, the air freight shipping for all three packages was only $80, so that savings was motivation to choose this option, and to hike it down to the airport.

I have abandoned my original idea to do a 2 gallon pico (for now), so likely this will be my last post here, unless there's interest from other members.

In anticipation of my livestock, I currently have a standard 20L tank and an IM Nuvo 10 running and pre-cycling, which was recommended by TBS. My plan is to divide my shipment into the IM 10 with the Mantis, and the rest in the 20L as a temporary receiving tank.

I just tonight placed an order for a new IM Nuvo 15 - they are currently on sale 20% off at BRS :) My plan is to ultimately divide my TBS shipment into this IM Nuvo 15 as kind of my "main" tank, until I can get my planned 60-80 gallon going, and have my IM Nuvo 10 as a Mantis home.

If I need more rock or sand in either tank, I have a bag of Carib Sea Arag-Alive Special Grade, as well as some dry base rock to add to the TBS sand and rock.

I'm pretty excited for this order, I have been interested in this kind of aquacultured live rock for years. Here's hoping my tanks are successful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your enthusiasm is contagious. Sad to see the 2g thread ending but will look out for your 10g and 15g builds!
Thank you! I am enthused! Again, this will be my first saltwater tank in so many years. I am hoping and planning for the best. Thank you again for your reply!

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow best of luck and looking forward to updates! This certainly took off from the original dream!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow best of luck and looking forward to updates! This certainly took off from the original dream!
Thank you! Yes, my indecisiveness over what tank I wanted to go with was completely out of hand, but I think I have a solid plan now, and I'm really excited for the aquacultured rock and sand. Thanks for your reply!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back