Tds 0 but water has .005 phosphate

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my make up water and I got .005 phosphate. I have brand new filters in my BRS deluxe 4 stage with new DI resin.

Anyone encounter this? Is it my bin that's leaching? I'm going to test the water at the output. If it's my bin should I just run some Gfo or will it be fine?

Anyone encounter this?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible but not always the cause... Fwiw Tds will not pick up po4 like I mentioned before... I have saw over the last year more and more people using a reactor of gfo on there mixing stations for this reason alone...

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is .005 even anything to worry about?

I always notice a small amount in my new water and have considered running a GFO reactor for a day or so before using it.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you letting your ro/di run for 5 min into a drain before you start collecting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing phosphates, or anything for that matter, in ultrapure water is almost impossible with anything short of lab instruments. Hobbyist grade test kits are not the least bit accurate as they are designed for testing salt or tap water with other background contaminants. RO/DI is non conductive and has vert few ions of any type so TDS or conductivity are about all we can use. 0.005 ppm is tough for even half million dollar lab instruments so you are not going to see that with any level of accuracy with a boxed test kit.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my make up water and I got .005 phosphate. I have brand new filters in my BRS deluxe 4 stage with new DI resin.

Anyone encounter this? Is it my bin that's leaching? I'm going to test the water at the output. If it's my bin should I just run some Gfo or will it be fine?

Anyone encounter this?
Are you testing PO4 before or after adding salt? Sounds like you're testing after salt, in which case that's where it's coming from.

OP
OP
T

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested from the RODI water I made up in my 300 gallon bin that is food grade. I test with the small Hanna checker.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna has a +/-0.04 ppm +/- 4% of full reading accuracy so the accuracy or sensitivity is not near what you need to check at 0.005, thats 10 times lower than it will read with any level of accuracy. Don't worry about it, as long as you are registering 0 TDS on the RO/DI you are about as good as you can get. If you want more accuracy get the HM Digital COM-100 TDS meter which will read conductivity as well as TDS down to the tenths of a ppm.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Hanah checkers are garbage your better off drinking the water and seeing if it tastes funny or not haha.....Seriously I have a huge thread on here with garbage results these show... I even tested it with lab grade solutions a member on here made and it was way off there 4 percent mark....

OP
OP
T

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna has a +/-0.04 ppm +/- 4% of full reading accuracy so the accuracy or sensitivity is not near what you need to check at 0.005, thats 10 times lower than it will read with any level of accuracy. Don't worry about it, as long as you are registering 0 TDS on the RO/DI you are about as good as you can get. If you want more accuracy get the HM Digital COM-100 TDS meter which will read conductivity as well as TDS down to the tenths of a ppm.

I have a Milwaukee that does similar and has temp. Its a lot more precise than the Tds meter on the RO unit.

OP
OP
T

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Hanah checkers are garbage your better off drinking the water and seeing if it tastes funny or not haha.....Seriously I have a huge thread on here with garbage results these show... I even tested it with lab grade solutions a member on here made and it was way off there 4 percent mark....

Ah man don't say that. I compare it to the other hobby grade and it has to be better than them. Elos and Salifert don't really tell you in the lower range.

I know I have phosphates even though I register on all my test kits 0. Or else my chaetto wouldn't be green, it would be yellow and dying.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 72 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 9.0%
Back