Tds question

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,361
Reaction score
182
Location
connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dual tds meter from brs and it always seems to read 0. I have have my rodi filters for some time now. Is it possible it does not work correctly? I do not make tons of water but i would think by now it would be showing some tds. Is the a decent cheap meter i can buy to test. I see a bunch on ebay are they ok to buy?
 
One issue with the dual inlines is they are not truly temperature compensated so can have issues with accuracy. Unless your air temperature and water temperaure are exactly the same they will never be accurate since their probes sense air not water. I much prefer a good handheld from the same manufacturer, HM Digital, such as the TDS-3, TDS-4TM or AP-1. All are around $25, are ATC temperature compensated and all have a built in digital thermometer function so serve dual purpose. Best of all, for a RO/DI you need to know 3 TDS measurements not just two so the handheld can get them all while the inline is limited to two points. You need to know the tap TDS and RO only TDS to calculate the membrane rejection rate or removal efficiency, the condition of the RO membrane, and the RO/DI TDS to monitor the DI resin condition. With the handheld you can also test your ATO storage, bottled water, LFS water, your buddies water etc. Very versatile and very accurate.

I have two of the dual inlines and never evene turn them on anymore unless I am looking for a rough guess, they never agree with either my COM-100 or AP-1 handhelds which I trust.
 
One issue with the dual inlines is they are not truly temperature compensated so can have issues with accuracy. Unless your air temperature and water temperaure are exactly the same they will never be accurate since their probes sense air not water. I much prefer a good handheld from the same manufacturer, HM Digital, such as the TDS-3, TDS-4TM or AP-1. All are around $25, are ATC temperature compensated and all have a built in digital thermometer function so serve dual purpose. Best of all, for a RO/DI you need to know 3 TDS measurements not just two so the handheld can get them all while the inline is limited to two points. You need to know the tap TDS and RO only TDS to calculate the membrane rejection rate or removal efficiency, the condition of the RO membrane, and the RO/DI TDS to monitor the DI resin condition. With the handheld you can also test your ATO storage, bottled water, LFS water, your buddies water etc. Very versatile and very accurate.

I have two of the dual inlines and never evene turn them on anymore unless I am looking for a rough guess, they never agree with either my COM-100 or AP-1 handhelds which I trust.
Where can I buy one of these hand held ones you mentioned?
 
Any of the RO vendors will have them as will places like Amazon. I get my systems and supplies from Spectrapure, Buckeye Field Supply and PureklyH2o myself but also use Amazon Prime. Be careful when shopping for TDS meters on ebay, there are copies or clones that appear real but are not the same quality and are junk. Expect to pay right at $25-$30, if it is listed for $9-$14 it is not the real deal.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new