Teeny tiny baby Gorilla Crab?

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the size of a big grain of rice. So the pics are a bit grainy. Hoping it’s not a gorilla crab. Go ahead, crush my hope like a vermetid snail…
IMG_1152.jpeg
IMG_1163.jpg

Teeny tiny claws. I have a vid but can’t get it to upload.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t most of the emerald crabs we get actually gorilla crabs anyways? Hairy legs and all? I worry a bit about my fish but nothing has happened yet…

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t most of the emerald crabs we get actually gorilla crabs anyways? Hairy legs and all? I worry a bit about my fish but nothing has happened yet…
Technically no because the hairy legs alone don’t make it a gorilla crab. Colloquially, you could almost make that argument, but they have the wrong kind/shape of claws for it.

Technically, the term gorilla crab pretty well only applies to crabs from the taxonomic family Xanthidae (emerald crabs are from the same taxonomic subsection - Heterotremata - but a different superfamily and - thus by default - a different family, Mithracidae).

Colloquially, however, the term is applied to pretty much any hairy crab with scissor-shaped claws (emerald crabs have more spoon-shaped claws), and, in the hobby, the term is basically used to mean any crab (regardless of claw shape or if it’s hairy or not) that isn’t reef-safe/would be likely to attack other inhabitants of the tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little cutie!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back