Gorilla crab vs Purple firefish

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the crab trained in the martial arts? Claws to the eyeballs and keep pressing until the tips touch and hold until the fish stops twicthing, Crab Death Hold, three seconds to execute.
Martial Arts Fighting GIF
Martial Arts Win GIF

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the crab trained in the martial arts? Claws to the eyeballs and keep pressing until the tips touch and hold until the fish stops twicthing, Crab Death Hold, three seconds to execute.
Martial Arts Win GIF
My trusted advisor at the LFS says, "absolutely". I suspect it used the move in the last GIFFY that you posted. Trap arrived today. I don't really want to pull this rock. It is good sized with a hammer and a duncan glued to it.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs are opportunistic.
If the opportunity arises, certainly possible.
Fish is fast though.

I have no crabs whatsoever for 7 years.
Just trouble.
Yeah, they were hiding under the same rock, so crouching firefish hidden gorilla crab in a confined space does not seem like a good thing. The only crabs I have are hitching porcelain crabs which are filter feeders. I was a little nervous that they were planning an uprising this day. But, they disbanded and have remained peaceful.
IMG_6084.jpg

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the trap. It seems solid and potentially effective. I was considering using FishBites as bait. This is a synthetic product, but of course I am hesitant to put weird stuff in my tank. I do know that crabs in the ocean love this stuff. Thoughts?

image0 (32).jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would avoid a synthetic thing meant to give off scent (i.e. chemical) into a reef tank. Just use some bits of shrimp.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the trap. It seems solid and potentially effective. I was considering using FishBites as bait. This is a synthetic product, but of course I am hesitant to put weird stuff in my tank. I do know that crabs in the ocean love this stuff. Thoughts?

image0 (32).jpeg
Nope nope nope

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caught a few in traps. Removed a couple when breaking down the tank for a move. The traps are hit or miss, so I thought "better bait".

Are you saying the trap won't work or the Fishbites might be toxic?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's gonna make you tear your rock out. Ask me how I know!;)
Give the guy some hopelessness already!

I'd use the fake meat cause it probably won't degrade and if the crab eats it then it might die from indigestion and it won't matter if you capture it or not. Good luck!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have caught a few in traps. Removed a couple when breaking down the tank for a move. The traps are hit or miss, so I thought "better bait".

Are you saying the trap won't work or the Fishbites might be toxic?
I tried with a trap just like that. For weeks! Lol

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the guy some hopelessness already!

I'd use the fake meat cause it probably won't degrade and if the crab eats it then it might die from indigestion and it won't matter if you capture it or not. Good luck!
Those were my initial thoughts. It has a fine strong mesh inside of it to help keep it on the hook. Stop him up good.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water is a chemical. I actually just emailed the manufacturer and asked the question directly at the source.
And so is the stink given off by shrimp. But artificial scent means some sort of substance they've put together, specifically designed to come off the thing and diffuse into the water.

I'd also be a little skeptical that they know whether their product is safe to use in reef aquaria, honestly.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trap was out for one night with no joy.
image0 (33).jpeg

This little crab was standing between me and my tank goals. I chose not to move forward before he was sorted out. So, I sorted it out. I blew the hammer and duncan gently with the turkey baster to get them closed before I yanked the rock. Just one rock the size of a football. I knew this was his lair, so i was confident. When I yanked the rock and flipped it over, a big porcelain crab dropped off. I scooped it up and got some tank water on it and set it to the side. Then, with the rock upside down, I saw the labyrinth. There was a hole deep in the center of the rock. I could see a leg. I used my long tweezers to start rooting around in the hole. I wanted to scare it out, or stab it properly...

It bailed out the back door, and I was victorious! Total width was about 1 inch.

image1 (25).jpeg

I chucked it in the sin bin which is also know as my macro algae grow out tank. He shares this tank with a single hermit crab.

IMG_6436.jpg

Here is the rock after I put it back in the tank.

IMG_6435.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back