Tell me about Pajama Cardinals please

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have 6 in qt right now. They seem to be weird little guys when it comes to feeding. Certainly not aggressive feeders like my butterflies and tang. I feed a mix of blood worms, mysis and brine with selcon, CG, focus and garlic, finely chopped. When added they sense it in the tank and face into the flow of the tank and wait for the food to float by. They dart after a piece once in a while. A couple eat anything that floats by by others are very picky about the bits they go after.
Just wondered what other people have noticed with thier PJ cardinals and how they feed.
Thanks for your Imput in advance.
Jim

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my LFS put it, the Pajama Cardinal is a "Stoner Fish" they just hang out for the most part unless they are hungry and then they will dart for and gobble up food. I only have one in my 90 gallon but it fits the description to a T. When looking at him you can almost hear Tommy Chong saying "Far Out, Man" One thing that is really surprising about it is how big of a food chunk these guys can gobble up at one time. I did a species overview of mine here:

OP
OP
JMM744

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video. Your description is quite accurate. I am hoping that I can end up with 10/12 of them but they do get some size to them eventually.
Thanks for your effort here.
Jim

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding. Saw a big one today at my LFS and couldn't believe it (see the other thread posted in this forum).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back