Temperature in a 28g Bio Cube HQI?

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bio Cube 28 HQI,the temperature is staying around 82 deg with me running the halide for 6 hrs. I also have a Panorama 12 watt blue LED strip light running the rest of the time. The tank is filled with Zoas,ricodeas and other corals. Do I need to purchase a chiller? Or is this a acceptable temperature.....Thx in advance

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a house fan and run it across the tank if temperature gets out of hand. much cheaper and easier than a chiller. I use fans to chill my 70g system, works great.

OP
OP
F

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will try that if it does.....but is the 82 deg an acceptable temperature?

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats it drop to when its off? You just dont want huge swings in your temp. I believe 82 is acceptable but thats about as high as i would go

OP
OP
F

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx jordan.....not sure what it drops too,just bought the digital temp gauge tonite....halides have been off since 2 this afternoon..Its 82 deg now...so afraid when halides come on and are running a few hours its gonna be much higher than the 82 its at now. May have to buy a chiller Im thinking

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82deg is fine (there are reefs in the wild warmer and cooler). as mentioned the more important question is what is the swing when the lights go off?

OP
OP
F

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82 degrees is my low.....halides have been off for almost 10 hrs....will check it tommo during halide running time,sure its going to be much higher tho

OP
OP
F

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if anyone has tried these Panorama strip lights but Ive had the 4 watt power brites awhile....but these 12watt Panoramas really set off the Zoas n ricordeas at night ...heres a pic of it.....srry taken on my iphone:squigglemouth:
photo.jpg

OP
OP
F

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked temp after end of 6 hour HQI lights running and didnt really change..Was at 82.5 at end of light running for the 6 hours. I can get a mini artica chiller thats good for up to 40 gallons at a reasonable price. Is 82 ok or should I put chiller on and keep temp in 75 to 79 degree range? This hobby proving much more complicated than I first anticipated....and costly...lol:squigglemouth: Thx again for all the help

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked temp after end of 6 hour HQI lights running and didnt really change..Was at 82.5 at end of light running for the 6 hours. I can get a mini artica chiller thats good for up to 40 gallons at a reasonable price. Is 82 ok or should I put chiller on and keep temp in 75 to 79 degree range? This hobby proving much more complicated than I first anticipated....and costly...lol:squigglemouth: Thx again for all the help

82 shouldn't be a problem and it depends on the corals your planning to keep. I have two nano chillers that I've never used because my tank stays at 79-80. I put the fans on a timer for them to go on when my MH's turn on. My heater is set for 79, so it doesn't cool the tank too much. It's definitely a time consuming and expensive hobby, but it's definitely something different and the corals are awesome. I currently have a 24, 12, and 95 gallon reef systems.

OP
OP
F

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see our album to see what we have in our cubes. A little bit of everything... except fish. :nerd:

Thank you

Last edited:

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use fans on all my tanks also. Alot cheaper than a chiller. I like the round box fans that you can adjust/tilt them so you can aim them at the tank.

kass

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 91 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back