Temperature of tank

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something wrong/inaccurate with the cheap little mercury(im assuming) based thermometers, like the ones sometimes included in store tank kits?
Not Mercury but similar, depends on the range, if it covers zero and boiling point, you can check it’s accuracy, boil rodi water, or fill a cup with ice cubes and add cold water to cover the cubes, then dip in your thermometer, it should read 32f or 0c.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Mercury but similar, depends on the range, if it covers zero and boiling point, you can check it’s accuracy, boil rodi water, or fill a cup with ice cubes and add cold water to cover the cubes, then dip in your thermometer, it should read 32f or 0c.
going to have to check on that... oh man haha

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something wrong/inaccurate with the cheap little mercury(im assuming) based thermometers, like the ones sometimes included in store tank kits?
They are junk.

You spent some money getting into the hobby, accurate and precise measurements of tank parameters are tantamount to success in this hobby. If you don‘t have that then you might as well switch the tank to fresh water..

what temp is the tank running, use whatever measuring device you have, just to get a basic idea.

based on your first post your tank could move 5 degrees a day easy. It could be in the low 70’s at night, most corals aren’t going to do well long term with that and neither will fish.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are junk.

You spent some money getting into the hobby, accurate and precise measurements of tank parameters are tantamount to success in this hobby. If you don‘t have that then you might as well switch the tank to fresh water..

my thermometer cost me £10 , it is accurate to -/+ 0.1c.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are junk.

def over relied on them for some reason... knew it was an important parameter, just not how different the equipment could be in sensitivity

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I keep my home at 69-72f during the summer and 69f during winter. Never had trouble keeping tank at optimal temperature.

However, I use 2 x 50w heaters for a 25 gallon tank (real water volume closer to 22g).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back