Temperature?

Courtney Dudoussat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been preparing to start a seahorse tank. That was my main goal when getting into the hobby (I already have set up 5 tanks lol)
Anyways, I planned to run the tank without a heater or chiller. I currently have one running (damsel tank) without either and temperature goes from 68-73, 68 at night and 73 during the height of the day. Would this be an issue? I’ve read that temperature swings could stress them. It bummed me out a bit, but if I can’t keep them I’ll just start a non-reefsafe tank lol
Also: the damsel tank is 10 gallons and the seahorse tank would be a 55 with a 20-30 gallon sump

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Courtney, I am not sure of your location, (I don't know where Metairie is) but this time of year my tank fluctuates a couple of degrees as well. I have a 56 column display with a 20 gallon sump in the basement, its comparable to what you are planning. I have a fan over the sump kick on with the sump lights which helps the temperature swing be more moderate. If we are going through an especially hot spell I plug the fan in full time. The bigger system should not have as large a swing in temperature as your 10 gallon however so I think you should be ok.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you not use a heater? A heater with basic controller will help keep your temperature stable.
For seahorses usually a heater is unnecessary since they do best in temperatures from 68°-74°F. Heaters are 1 piece of equipment that are known to malfunction without warning and usually it sticks on which can be deadly for seahorses. A fan is a safer, cheaper option to moderate the temperature swing for seahorses.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For seahorses usually a heater is unnecessary since they do best in temperatures from 68°-74°F. Heaters are 1 piece of equipment that are known to malfunction without warning and usually it sticks on which can be deadly for seahorses. A fan is a safer, cheaper option to moderate the temperature swing for seahorses.

I have kept plenty of seahorses, if the OP is getting consistent swings from 68-73 a heater set at 73 along with a controller in case of failure will work just as well as a fan to keep temps stable of course having both would be even better.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured since seahorses need colder water, that heater wouldn’t really help. I could set it to 72 though, I guess?
If you keep your home real cool down in the low 60s then I would agree that a heater is a good idea. However if you keep your house 68° F or warmer then you probably will not need a heater. My tank runs a couple of degrees warmer than the air temperature due to lights and pump. Remember that your bigger seahorses tank is not going to cool off as fast as your 10 gallon. I have been keeping ponies for 4 years without a heater.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back