Temporary Holding/Grow Tank for Brine

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it's stupid asking this (because it should be a no-brainer that it's fine to do); but I'm going to ask anyway. Would it be okay to use the main drain chamber in the sump of a Red Sea Reefer 250 as a temporary brine shrimp "tank" (NOT a hatchery)? My plan would be to hatch them elsewhere and then transfer them to the chamber in question. Things to note:

• I have the ReefMat 500 installed so the water flow isn't turbulent.
  • I was able to keep my refugium wall so the brine would have that entire chamber to themselves (yes I know SOME will still slip through into the refugium).
  • There IS water flow and a heat source.

Why? Because I don't have an additional heater right now. My spare is being used on a QT tank that is just about at the end of its QT period. After that, I'll sterilize the heater and use it in a stand-alone brine tank. I just need something in the meantime to hold them in after hatching, so they can grow a bit, to feed to the display and fish in QT.

Image below is of the chamber in question. The circled area. The green arrow points to the glass that sits between the main chamber and the return pump chamber (so that you know its separated); and the blue arrow points to the refugium divider wall.

2022-10-18_18-16-05.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

kiet_kat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this work out for you? I was actually thinking of doing the same. Wouldnt the light from the refugium draw them out?

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this work out for you? I was actually thinking of doing the same. Wouldnt the light from the refugium draw them out?
So at the time my refugium was unlit… However, they still didn’t seem to remain in that chamber. I never saw any reach adulthood in that chamber. So I assume they all either ventured into the refugium and finally up to the DT. Or it’s possible that the water flow is more than I thought and thus too strong for them in the juvenile state to resist getting pulled through the chambers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back