Temporary holding?

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it okay if I use another tank for a few hours to hold all my fish and live rock in, and then transfer them back to the display tank?

I'm redoing our floor in our basement and I have to move the display tank to do the floor under it. They would only be in the other tank for a few hours so I can do the floor, then get out back the same day. I would also use the same water they were in for the other (slight smaller) tank.

Is this possible and okay? Just dont want to cause too much disruption.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can. or depending on the size of the tank, you can leave just enough water in the tank they are able to stay somewhat upright and they'll be fine, just make sure you kill the lights while the water is low.

OP
OP
Stege_saurus

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can. or depending on the size of the tank, you can leave just enough water in the tank they are able to stay somewhat upright and they'll be fine, just make sure you kill the lights while the water is low.
Only thing is, it's a 120g...not the lightest when it's empty.
(72x24x18) (1/2 in glass) lol but I appreciate the response!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start stirring the sand bed up daily for two weeks. I moved everything from a 90 gallon to a 45 and 30 gallon, then months later to a 65 gallon. i wanted to reuse the sand. To keep the tanks from crashing, stir the sand in advance. If you are going to add sand, put it in first, on the final move. BTW, I would take everything out of that tank before attempting to move it. The big slider type furniture pads from Lowe’s are your friend.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to move all my fish and corals into a 5 gallon QT and various buckets. I used the water I had mixed for water changes to do so because my water in my tank was contaminated from NOPOX overdose. They were in those containers for about 12 hours while I made more water and they did fine. I stirred the water every hour in the buckets. The fish had bubbler and heater because they were in QT - nothing like putting all 20 fish from a 125 gallon tank into a 5 gallon QT - surprising no fighting

Back