OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the CBB. I think if I ever try to keep one it will be of the pre-quarantined variety. I'm willing to pay more to make sure that particular fish would be healthy and eating. We've all put things in our tanks that we know we maybe should have waited on though, it stings but all you can do is learn from it and do it differently next time.
Yes, pre-quarantined would be a good choice. It probably always is. What really hurts, other than watching a creature suffer for my arrogance and stupidity is that I always preach to be patient and then I turn around and act impatiently and imprudently. The old 'do as I say, not as I do' routine.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, was it from Aquaholics or elsewhere?
The CBB and Bristletooth were both from Aquaholics. They said they had just come in so I don't think they had really observed them much. I found out before we left, but after they had bagged the fish, that they receive orders on Wednesdays so I doubt they had been anything more than unbagged. If I had thought about it I would have held off. That said, the little Bristletooth seems fine and is a model member of the community.

I'm not ruling out that it's still possible that some old methods of collection are used surreptitiously in certain areas.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think cyanide collection still happens a lot and there are still lots of reports of Angels exhibiting cyanide poisoning symptoms and then dying suddenly after 2 months or so. It's crazy and annoying. It makes me hesitant to buy fish sometimes.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cyanide collection still happens a lot and there are still lots of reports of Angels exhibiting cyanide poisoning symptoms and then dying suddenly after 2 months or so. It's crazy and annoying. It makes me hesitant to buy fish sometimes.
That was my first thought when I observed the fish and it is still possible. I don't have the means or inclination to check the fish post-mortem.

I also noticed that there were a lot of CBBs, to a number of LFSs, that came into the valley at the same time. Far more at one time than I used to see. It reminds me more of the days when that collection method was common. I dealt with a great number of loses of potentially great fish because of it. I would imagine the risk is mainly with the larger, more flamboyant or expensive fish where they may deem the risk worth the reward.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aquarium Arts had a good variety of CBB back 2 months ago for a good price. @1ocean ended up picking up one of them. I almost did. They were healthy and eating at the time.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Arts had a good variety of CBB back 2 months ago for a good price. @1ocean ended up picking up one of them. I almost did. They were healthy and eating at the time.
I've only been to Aquarium Arts twice in the last 17 years. Once about 2 years ago and almost bought a tank and again about a month ago. It's pretty nice in there now. I almost bought a Blue-eyed Kole Tang. Everything looked healthy. Can't say that was my experience there many years ago. I guess I need to trust again.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time:

Good news:
  • All of the fish still seem to be fine so far although it is a little early to be sure. The 'probably, Square Tail Bristletooth is fitting in fine with the community although he makes a bit of a pest of himself following around the other fish. It's a real 'joiner'. It also likes to eat algae, maybe the Foxface will learn from it.
  • It seems the problem with the Mystic Sunset may have been the CBB as I don't see any additional damage to it or any other montis yet.
  • The TSA Sweet Cakes Goni is hanging in there and starting to improve and the three green birds nest frags have stopped RTNing, regrown some tissue and showing new growth.
  • The UV hasn't popped off the tank wall. Thanks again @BubblesandSqueak, great idea for a mod.
Okay news
  • The Berghias may or may not be alive and may or may not be eating anything.
Bad News
  • The TSA Deep Love Goni is a goner. When I got the red goni from TSA I noticed some necrosis on one end of the frag. It kept spreading and the frag is now a white skeleton with a ting of reddish hue here and there. It only lasted a week. Pretty bad even by old-time goni standards. I may leave the skeleton in the tank though as I seem to recall that someone had left an old skeleton in their tank and a year or so later a small goni was growing from it.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  • . I may leave the skeleton in the tank though as I seem to recall that someone had left an old skeleton in their tank and a year or so later a small goni was growing from it.
I had that happen after 3 or 4 months with a couple of Gonis. I then proceeded to kill those as well though.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
wow, I read nearly the whole thread before I noticed you are in AZ! Hello neighbor. Lovely tank you have there!
He's not much of a neighbor though! Although he's closer to you than me...

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 'many' may be overstating it as there aren't 'many' left in the whole valley.

AZ Reef Monster is my main go-to. Discount is where I get old base rock, supplies and used gear actually I think they are in Tempe come to think of it. Aquarium Arts I used to go to and will be going again more often. I used to go there and a place that is gone that was on Price a little below Baseline the most often. I was going to Artistic Aquarium until they moved their retail to Only Fins but those are both in Chandler. I've only been there two or three times. The only other LFS I go to regularly is Kona in Chandler. Last week I went to Ocean Floor for the first time in about 18 years and went to Aquaholic Aquariums for my first time. There used to be another general pet shop somewhere in Mesa, or maybe Tempe, I went to often but I think it is gone. All I remember is it was in a strip mall and always had piles of used 10 gallon tanks out front, and a not-too-bad marine section. The other one I remember, and went to often was called AquaTouch I believe, it was on 32nd Street in Phoenix.

So now that I go through it I guess I still go to Mesa the most often but go to more shops in Chandler. I also have a LFS here in Casa Grande called Unique Aquariums. He has tried to make a go with saltwater but there just is not enough local business so he does mainly reptiles, some freshwater and a very little saltwater even Hot Wheels and 3d-printed trinkets. He has a couple nice Nano tanks set up in the shop but he's currently trying to sell both complete with livestock so I think he may be giving up that part of the dream. I make sure I have him order me some supplies on a regular basis to help keep him doing some saltwater. Who knows he just may get enough customers if he hangs in there long enough. I know he sold a used 80-gallon to the guy that does my HVAC and the guy wants to go saltwater...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back