Tentacles in the back of my frogspawn look slightly translucent. Is that okay?

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New frogspawn frag. Tentacles towards the center of the tank slightly clear. Too much light?

C39B5FE3-12B8-4FDC-96C0-BE1A6F4FF7F7.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry too much. Could be the back did not get the same lighting as the rest of it. You can start with lower light and over time increase it if you are worried that you have too much light. I have one thats maybe 20 heads. It gets light from a kessil and the underside heads die off occasionally, as they do not get enough light. I have fragged 1 or 2 of those dying heads. Put them under brighter light. The did just fine. Now they are multi heads. They do have a lighter base color than the mother.

OP
OP
bryanfuel

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it at the bottom of the tank right now with a relatively low light. I was planning on moving it up in a week or so. Think I should move it a little up now?

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it at the bottom of the tank right now with a relatively low light. I was planning on moving it up in a week or so. Think I should move it a little up now?

You could but if the coral is still new I wouldn't want to be constantly be moving it although frogspawn are forgiving IME. The coral looks good to me in the picture judging from the color and polyp extension.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I would leave the coral where it is and let it adjust to your tank. I wouldn't be concerned with the slight color difference in the tentacles. If you notice the colony getting lighter then you can move it to a shadier spot but for now I'd leave it be.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back