Tesselata Eel Aquarium

Money_Pit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a 120 gallon (48" x 24" by 24") that I want to put a small tesselata eel in. I know this isn't big enough but I have the space and capability to upgrade to at least a 180 in the future. It will be the only fish in the tank. How long could a tesselata stay in the 120 for if I got one around a foot long maybe a little less? Also I'm not completely set on a Tessy. What are some other good "show eels"?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably get by for a couple of years in a 120 but a 180 isn't a suitable upgrade. Be aware that large pisco's can be difficult to catch when it comes time to swap tanks and even harder to give away if a suitable tank isn't available.

Plenty of better options out there for a 120-- G. fimbriatus, G. griseus, G. miliaris, E. paradalis, G thyrsoideus. M, pavonina, G. eurostus, M. lentiginosa.... Factor in the pebbletooth and the list gets larger.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my jeweled moray(M. lentiginosa), a most under rated eel. My jeweled is in a 180g alone at the moment, although still interesting; can be a little boring. The jeweled will allow for appropriate room mates; where as the tessa, definitely not likely in a 120, or even a 180. I've never seen the monster tessas people talk about; when collected at smaller sizes, I've only seen them reach sizes closer to 4' or just over. They would still need to be in a tank at the minimum 6', and cared for very carefully. Choosing a tessa is a very serious undertaking; rehoming them is near impossible, I've known people euthanize them. I have a friend pressuring me now to take one, but I would be devastated if he killed my jeweled.

OP
OP
M

Money_Pit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whitespot moray is what I originally intended on getting but I can't find one for sale anywhere. I've been looking on and off for a few years now.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whitespot moray is what I originally intended on getting but I can't find one for sale anywhere. I've been looking on and off for a few years now.

Yeah if you are talking what I call the Brazilian Dragon, I looked for quite a while as well. There was a guy who posted a while back that a lfs he visited had one that he was considering. I wanted one to add with my jeweled.

Lastblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post but I just was reading through and saw things about an eel that I have had for 13 years.

I have had the same Tesselata eel since 2004. I purchased it from someone that could not keep it anymore due to his tank size. I think he had a 180 tank. I owned a 180 tank for a number of years and this eel would not do well in a tank that size.

The main tank that the eel stays in is almost 300 gallons. So it has plenty of room to swim around if it needs too and plenty of coral to hide in. I have had this tank for about 18 years. It used to be a display tank in a Mall.

Feeding the eel can be the most difficult task, at least for me. Having it this many years you find it gets bored on what you are feeding it after awhile. And beings I do not live close to fresh fish markets I have to drive 2 hours south and pick up 20 to 30 lbs of fish and freeze them for future use.
Most of what I feed it are large fish meant for people consumption. And I usually feed it 2 times a month. When it was younger it ate much more than that but with age it seems to pass up food so rather than waste it I make sure it is hungry.

A new trick I have found was using a flash light that strobes a fast flashing bright light. It seems to perk up the eel and get it to be more aggressive and I actually have been able to get it to eat more.

This photo is of Daisy about 8 years ago.

CIMG5523.JPG

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post but I just was reading through and saw things about an eel that I have had for 13 years.

I have had the same Tesselata eel since 2004. I purchased it from someone that could not keep it anymore due to his tank size. I think he had a 180 tank. I owned a 180 tank for a number of years and this eel would not do well in a tank that size.

The main tank that the eel stays in is almost 300 gallons. So it has plenty of room to swim around if it needs too and plenty of coral to hide in. I have had this tank for about 18 years. It used to be a display tank in a Mall.

Feeding the eel can be the most difficult task, at least for me. Having it this many years you find it gets bored on what you are feeding it after awhile. And beings I do not live close to fresh fish markets I have to drive 2 hours south and pick up 20 to 30 lbs of fish and freeze them for future use.
Most of what I feed it are large fish meant for people consumption. And I usually feed it 2 times a month. When it was younger it ate much more than that but with age it seems to pass up food so rather than waste it I make sure it is hungry.

A new trick I have found was using a flash light that strobes a fast flashing bright light. It seems to perk up the eel and get it to be more aggressive and I actually have been able to get it to eat more.

This photo is of Daisy about 8 years ago.

CIMG5523.JPG
Beautiful that you’ve been able to keep him healthy and happy for so long.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back