Test calibration drift of dosers as the tubing ages?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for ideas for BRS videos, why not test dosing rates for some common dosers to see if there is drift as the dosing tube ages?

I use BRS dosers, and have never tested the dosing rate beyond the initial purchase of the dosers. Should I be testing it more regularly to accurately dose 2 part?

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for ideas for BRS videos, why not test dosing rates for some common dosers to see if there is drift as the dosing tube ages?
I use BRS dosers, and have never tested the dosing rate beyond the initial purchase of the dosers. Should I be testing it more regularly to accurately dose 2 part?

This is a really good idea! I think this would also give us a window into helping determine when it's time to change them out, assuming there is a drift or significant change in dosing rate. I'll add it to the BRStv Investigates board. :)

OP
OP
DarkSky

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really good idea! I think this would also give us a window into helping determine when it's time to change them out, assuming there is a drift or significant change in dosing rate. I'll add it to the BRStv Investigates board. :)

Exactly. Maybe this'll be like the T5 video where we find that we're changing them too frequently or not enough - I personally change mine every year. Maybe I need to be doing it much sooner.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Maybe this'll be like the T5 video where we find that we're changing them too frequently or not enough - I personally change mine every year. Maybe I need to be doing it much sooner.

Ive never changed mine-- but I would think that they wear relatively evenly across multiple BRS dosers, and that my testing and dosing adjustments would have compensated for that drift.

All in all, knowing the "actual" amount dosed is less important than having stability with how much you are dosing. If I got new tubes, I would have to be very careful not to change things unintentionally....

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubes used in these things are not to difficult to replace and you can buy whole rolls of the stuff, it's not standard tubing it's FDA certified most of the time. Usually you can only buy it in small segments made specifically for your pump with the side effect of paying a higher price, or you can jsut get the right type of tubing meant for this kind of work. :) Usually sold in 50+ foot rolls.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=83925

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubes used in these things are not to difficult to replace and you can buy whole rolls of the stuff, it's not standard tubing it's FDA certified most of the time. Usually you can only buy it in small segments made specifically for your pump with the side effect of paying a higher price, or you can jsut get the right type of tubing meant for this kind of work. :) Usually sold in 50+ foot rolls. https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=83925

This is where I sourced my replacement tubing for my Cole-Palmer Masterflex doser. Big roll of LS15 and good for years. :p

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back