Test kit that works for RO/DI water

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any confirmed test kits that can test low levels of phosphate in RO/DI water?

I want to soak some dry rock and watch the phosphate levels as it soaks in RO/DI water. I figured there’s no sense wasting salt if it can be avoided.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think any test kit would work, IIRC, a bunch of rock in not a lot of water should make the phosphate spike more than high enough to read. However, I don't know if using a marine test kit in RODI will work. You might want to pick up one that works with freshwater.
However, another option, is to use old water from water changes. Let the rocks sit in a bucket of old tank water and replace it once or twice a week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the release of phosphate will be different in RO/DI compared to seawater, and is also pH dependent. I expect much less comes off into fresh water for various chemical detail reasons relating to the forms of phosphate present in each.

Thus, you can monitor it, but I would not draw too strong of a conclusion from RO/DI about what exactly would happen in seawater.

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the release of phosphate will be different in RO/DI compared to seawater, and is also pH dependent. I expect much less comes off into fresh water for various chemical detail reasons relating to the forms of phosphate present in each.

Thus, you can monitor it, but I would not draw too strong of a conclusion from RO/DI about what exactly would happen in seawater.
Thank you for that, so helpful! Would the opposite be true then? Would high salinity water release the phosphates faster?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that, so helpful! Would the opposite be true then? Would high salinity water release the phosphates faster?

Not noticeably, but acid (such as vinegar or diluted muriatic acid) will strip it faster. No need for salt water then.

OP
OP
RealReefHobbyist

RealReefHobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not noticeably, but acid (such as vinegar or diluted muriatic acid) will strip it faster. No need for salt water then.
I’d like to do the muriatic acid, but I’m hoping to do something quite replicable. Many people would be nervous to work with a strong acid.

I haven’t heard of the vinegar method. Do you have some info on that you could share?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard a few days in a bleach bath also strips out phosphate. Would that be better?

No, that’s for organic removal. Acid is for phosphate removal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back