Test Kits

What test kits do you use? Please post why....

• API

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Salifert

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • ELOS

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • LaMotte

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Multiple

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm wondering what others are using for test kits.
I started out in the hobby using API because it was a name I knew and they were compact and easy.

I moved on to Salifert and have liked them, but have had difficulty with the color graduations.
It appears my wife has been correct all these years about some partial color blindness.

I recently swithched over to Elos and have used them 3 times. They are very easy to use, and the
distinct and quick color changes have taken care of my eye problem.

Thought I'd find out what other peoples experiences have been.

Thanks for participating......

Last edited:

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Elos kit to calibrate my API test kit I do a lot of testing and Elos gets expensive fast.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using the Sera test kits. Calcium, dkh, magnesium. As I run out of the others I will be replacing them with Sera brand. I also use some of the Salifert, red sea, API and a couple of lab grade test kits.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ease of use is important but when it comes to testing equipment precision comes first

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well right now i have the salifert nitrate and phosphate. i also have the seanaylsis (natureef) mag, calcium, and alk test kits.
i dont think these are very accurate though. i had my water tested at the lfs and the readings were all quite different on those.
this is actually difficult in my opinion because how do you know which test is right or the most accurate.
i was going to replace my mag, calcium, and alk test kits and was wondering if should get the salifert or some other brand. anyone have any thoughts are which are the most accurate???

OP
OP
Lytehouse

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my change water before I do a water change with it to make adjustments.

I also test my tank before I do water change to see how things are going.

I try to do water changes weekly.

By the way oceans, you said you use API and they have never been wrong....

Does that mean you are backing them up with another test kit for comparison????

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool i usually test every 2-4 weeks as long as everything is doing okay if not ill test more often!

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no one brand that makes all best kits. I have read some reviews and studies. Began using Sera brand because they are detailed and accurate and don't cost very much compared to Saliferts and Elos.
Sometimes if I am having a problem with something or need a 100% accurate reading I send my water to the lab. A friend of mine runs a biochem lab here at the university, I just drop off a sample and he emails me the results.

OP
OP
Lytehouse

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no one brand that makes all best kits. I have read some reviews and studies. Began using Sera brand because they are detailed and accurate and don't cost very much compared to Saliferts and Elos.
Sometimes if I am having a problem with something or need a 100% accurate reading I send my water to the lab. A friend of mine runs a biochem lab here at the university, I just drop off a sample and he emails me the results.

You said you read some things and settled on Sera. They must have held up pretty well in the reviews then?

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using the Sera test kits. Calcium, dkh, magnesium. As I run out of the others I will be replacing them with Sera brand.

I too use all Sera Test Kits! They are made by a pharmaceutical company ... and that I like!

OP
OP
Lytehouse

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies folks.

Been reading them all and researching based on the responses here and other boards.

As always, there's tons of info on the web. Interestingly enough have been able to find several reviews where people do head to head tests with differest test kits and give their opinion of ease of use and, quality of results, and consstency.

Like I said at the beginning I started with API from familiarity, moved to Salifert. Had some trouble with them because I have some color blindness and you have to be able to see increments to color. I recently changed to Elos and have used them now about 6 or 8 times. For ease of use they are much simplier for me. For the original reason of distinct color changes, they are hands down..... so I'll be sticking with them for now. I do wish the mag test was a little more detailed and read in 10's instead of 100's.

Thanks to everyone who read and posted.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back