Test parameters weird

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't quite understand these results. 40b no sump. Maybe about 20 lbs of rock well established, couple acan mini colonies, gsp, meet coral, couple zoa colonies, blasto coral, small carpet anemone. 3 false percula clowns.

Alk 8.4 dkh
Cal 380
Mag 1600+

I tested the mag twice thinking it could not be that high. I dosed nothing. Should I dose cal and alk to bring it up? Would that kinda marry up with the three part trinity?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you tested? What were the values? What test kits are you using?

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some salt will have high mag your cal should come up though DKH 9-11 is what people suggest I keep mine about 9.5 -10

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is IO. Just did a 15 gallon water change about a half hour or so before. There is a mp 40 and a mp 10 on anti sync in this tank as well. This tank has been up for three weeks with these inhabitants, no additions and no losses. They came from a 20 after my move and just got a bigger tank. All new water in this tank, none moved over from the 20 except what might have been in the rock. This is also the first test results on this tank. Doing phosphate and nitrate test now.
Phosphate will be Hanna checker all other tests are Red Sea.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Alk and Cal are about right for instant ocean. Mag is higher than I thought IO has.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's about what I was thinking. I can't recall ever testing IO mag at that range. That gives me a idea on range atleast now for the two.

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from IO because of the inconsistency in levels. One time it's high in mag the next it would be cal I gave up and now I mix Red Sea salts together

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may do the same if this is going to be a issue. I need to test my water once it gets done filling and mixing again. That should give me a base line on what I am getting with water changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect it is testing error. I do not believe it is the salt mix unless you made a small amount out of a larger bucket or box, in which case settling of the contents can result in inhomogeneity.

Testing error is VERY common, especially with magnesium (as is easily demonstrated by reading through the huge numbers of posts from folks who find the magnesium jumping up and down by large amounts in a few days, which cannot happen), and salt mix variations that great in normal Instant Ocean are not at all common.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that too. I tested it twice though. I will do it again tonight and see what o get, both in tank and new batch.

From reading other posts by you, I mixed the new bucket...by shaking and rolling around on my floor to deal with settling. I make bigger batches, so there was 30 gallons made up to do the 15 gallon water change. I add fresh ro/di to the mixing bucket and add salt to bring it back up to 35 ppt, checked with a calibrated refractometer.

But alas, I could be doing it wrong I admit it. I will post again tonight my results.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This is the test from tonight out of the 40.

image.jpg

This is the test tonight of new water in my mixing barrel. I also tested with a freshly calibrated refractometer. Salt level came in at 30 ppt.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall correctly, the top one is over 1600 and the bottom one is right at 1600 ppm.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
68480396.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there residue in the test bottle for other test? That could be throwing off your numbers?

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do get large fluctuation of mag levels when I use my red sea test kit. What annoys me is that you need to drop solution A and shake it for 15sec and you must do that 5X then add solution B and shake for a minute. I have skipped or added a drop during the solution A process a couple times.
Also, I see in your pictures that the "air" gap on your syringe is somewhat inconsistent. It should be around 0.1 or less just as the first pic, please correct me if I am wrong but I see 0.2 on the second picture. What works for me when using those testers is to submerge the syringe completely and fill it in one pass all the way and remove it. That almost always gives me about 0.1 gap for compensation.

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with the red sea kit. I just stopped dosing Mg. Nothing in my tank was effected or even slowed down in growth, so I just looked the other way. lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can't tell if the problem is the salt or the test.

If you get a new batch of salt mix, or a different kit, that might help figure it out.

In general, elevated magnesium is not likely to be a substantial problem, if real. :)

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea mag testing is tricky. Go back over the instructions and follow exactly. If I don't follow exactly I get a wide range of readings. Are you using the tip that attaches to the syringe? Make sure you pre-wash your test vials twice with tank water before you test. If it has hard water stains rinse with vinegar to get ride of them. They need to be as clean as possible to avoid contamination.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back