Test reagents harmfulness

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guy,
Long story short, my son dropped the waste cup that I collect waste water after test. I already email Hanna, Redsea but I haven't received their answer yet.
I need expert advises about if those test reagents contain harmful chemical, if so, how bad is it: hanna phosphorus, hanna alkalinity, elos nitrate, salifert mag, cal, nitrate, redsea cal, redsea mag.

So far fishes are okay, some sps colonies turn black and lost pe.

Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
Mr V

Mr V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large water change, run some GAC.
I forgot to mention I did 60 gallons water change along with using roughly 1 gallon of 0.8 ROX carbon, skimming wet.

What I want to know is anyone know what exactly in those reagents and how harmful they are toward living organisms.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention I did 60 gallons water change along with using roughly 1 gallon of 0.8 ROX carbon, skimming wet.

What I want to know is anyone know what exactly in those reagents and how harmful they are toward living organisms.

Wish I could help. Randy might know. I do believe though you did the right thing in the water change and GAC.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Slip a Polyfilter in perhaps it will change color. The color it changes to indicates what's in the water.
Have you sent the water out for a ICP test? I have one handy if you want it.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can’t speak for all test kits, the majority of ones I’ve used have been harmless chemicals. Example: checking for ammonia? It’s a mostly caustic reagent. Checking dkh? Acid. Plus, the majority of the sample is your tank water. So my estimate would be whatever dumped into your tank, only 10-20% was actual chemical reagents. Out of that, maybe 25% max are unknown reagents. Even those unknown reagents can be things like potassium, bleach, and iodide (things most people use to dose their tanks)
My advice? Don’t freak out and run your tank into the ground by over filtering/carbon’ing it. Wait for their response. If they don’t within 24 hours, call.
I’m not nearly as versed as the Randy’s of the world but if you are super concerned-search for the sds’s (safety data sheet) of the reagents. Section 3 will tell you all of the ingredients used in it. You already know the buzzwords of things you don’t want (like iron for example) so look at the % contained as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back