Test Results - ABI 23w Tuna Blue LED

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual, I'm running hopelessly behind on lamp testing. I ordered an ABI 'Tuna Blue' LED lamp (about $35 on Amazon.) I've partially completed testing - in a nutshell, this lamp is blue, just as advertised. This a PAR38 lamp and contains 15 LEDs, ranging from *some* UV-A to 6500K White.
More later.
upload_2019-6-4_11-40-9.png

upload_2019-6-4_11-41-25.png

UV-A 3.9%
Violet 23.2%
Blue 49.0%
Green-Blue 6.5%
Blue-Green 8.3%
Green 3.7%
Yellow-Green 4.3%
Yellow 0.8%
Orange 1.2%
Red 2.9%

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention:
The Seneye device reports PUR (Photosynthetically Usable Radiation) as 79% of PAR output.
Wattage is advertised to be 23 watts - my Kill-A-Watt meter reports 21 watts. Since this light reportedly contains a fan, it may be that the it is activated when the temperature reaches a certain point. I'll keep it plugged in and see.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question.. Is there some logic behind the x axis label-ling?
Seems...err...awkward..and inconsistent.."almost" every 15nm..
anyways..for fun..

abi.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question.. Is there some logic behind the x axis label-ling?
Seems...err...awkward..and inconsistent.."almost" every 15nm..
anyways..for fun..

abi.JPG
The Ocean Optics spectrometer reports spectrum in fractions of a nanometer. I tell Excel to round off to the nearest nanometer and let the program do the rest. It's as good as the MS software engineers can do. ;)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ocean Optics spectrometer reports spectrum in fractions of a nanometer. I tell Excel to round off to the nearest nanometer and let the program do the rest. It's as good as the MS software engineers can do. ;)
Yea I avoid their products like the plague. And HP's.....

U

User1

View Badges
Yea I avoid their products like the plague. And HP's.....

Lol - shots fired.

Actually I'm a bit salty today and towards HPE. I worked there for a long time but when Meg started mass staff reductions, er, I mean company restructure and company spin-offs the team I was in got moved to one of the spin-offs. Never been the same since and I really need to get off my rear and look elsewhere. So I'm teasing :)

Ty for testing Dana. I'm sure you have a lot of other things to do so on behalf of everyone else - thank you.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Lol - shots fired.

Actually I'm a bit salty today and towards HPE. I worked there for a long time but when Meg started mass staff reductions, er, I mean company restructure and company spin-offs the team I was in got moved to one of the spin-offs. Never been the same since and I really need to get off my rear and look elsewhere. So I'm teasing :)

Ty for testing Dana. I'm sure you have a lot of other things to do so on behalf of everyone else - thank you.
Thank you for the thank you! I've got an Orphek strip light and a LED 'plant light' from Lowe's to test. After I cut grass, paint the fence in the yard, wash the truck, take care of the tank... :D:D:D:D

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol - shots fired.
Don't get me started...:(
At work I purchased a nice HP inkjet and only because they happened to have a model w/ necessary specs and the right height..
I've dabbled in their products w/ little love for over 12 years.
Like any company, some good things some bad.. sadly some JUST short of horrible which I, apparently found.
It's really hard to describe why they were horrible though. I was more like other brands just worked easier..had les overhead or less junk added.

But back to that printer.. Honestly it was a relatively NICE thing. Usual "overzealous" software, though HP isn't alone in REALLY bad software, they were, in my experience, pretty consistently
poor. Mostly sort of over-engineered.. You know trying to be too fancy would probably be the best way to describe them.

OK the FINAL straw coming up.. I made a decision to, generally, only buy "HP" carts. Mostly because we had an HP color laser that eventually just went but ugly using generics.
Another short lived HP product in my train.
I know not exactly HP's fault but that cart thing was only part of the overall picture..
Ended up replacing it w/ the inkjet.. Still.. at the time.. couldn't find a height replacement.

So I'd buy gen hp carts off eek bay and stick them in..No problems

Well one day, while HP was doing the all too often "updates" they sort of SNUCK in a firmware patch that locked the cart ID to the current cart.
I never noticed since I had procured a fair supply of carts from the same seller.

THEN I bought a set more as was becoming needed and the printer refused to recognize them..
WRONG ZONE though all were internally coded US...but NEW US code.

SE the firmware "patch" just bricked my printer from new US carts.

After some research I found out this was done on purpose and in order to "fix" it...well telling you the convoluted ridiculous process one needed to go through to
get HP to unbrick my printer is also too long to tell.

But I as willing.. so started down the bureaucratic road for a solution ONLY to be told numerous times.. Sorry you are too late.. we are done fixing what we broke..
REALLY sad part was about 6 months before that I probably could have got HP to fix it BUT I waited till I exhausted my WORKING old stock instead of just tossing a few $100's of ink..

REALLY sad part.. The below question is a firmware bricked printer.
The HP "answer" is COMPLETELY wrong and irreverent..
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Incompatible-ink-cartridges/td-p/7137944
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/bd-p/PostPrint

Go work for Brother.. BEST printers and software I have found.. YMMV AND, thankfully, they got one in my size finally..
We use a 1/2 doz of their small B/w lasers..for at least a decade now..mostly flawless little machines.
Got a 12 yr All in wonder Brother b/w laser behind me as I type and though a bit "grindy" sounding atm
Has never let me down Brother or not brother supplies

Now nothings perfect..and YMMV..

The indicated cartridges are not intended for use in this printer
Google search term..
09-12-2017 05:29 PM

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work. HP's web page on the subject is here.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkje...intended-for-use-in-this-printer/td-p/6254703
NO.. no they won't I do have proof.. ;)

The regionalization reset is covered as part of the cartrdige warranty, it does not require the printer to be in warranty.
I have asked to have your case escalated (from the other post you made). I also asked to have @ray_t20's case escalated.

UH uh.. won't do you any good..not since 2018..

The printer will "lock" itself to the first regionalized cartridges that are installed, which in your case were the z40 cartridges. Regionalization for the Officejet Pro 8600 series is particularly insidious since it was only introduced long after the printers were out of warranty, years after the printers were introduced.
You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work. HP's web page on the subject is here. Only a limited number of agents are authorized for the regionalization reset procedure, if you get one that does not understand the process refer them to the website link and ask to be transferred to an agent or supervisor that can help.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkje...not-support-z10-cartridge/m-p/7134178#M804153

Bob tried to get mine escalated.. India ( I assume) told me sorry you are out of time..
END of my time w/ ANYTHING HP ..

Somewhere in there is my posts (not that link but the site..)
BTW: Need a full set of Z10 unexpired carts.. let me know..
as to the printer.. well lets say life just isn't safe..

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/regionalization/tg-p/board-id/PostPrint
Gorey tales..
Sorry you are having difficulty in getting the regionalization resolved. I have asked once again to have your case escalated. In the meantime, I have seen folks who have had success with the HP Facebook Team rather than using the phone-in option.

Well goll ee appears one can STILL get it fixed..for some..
Believe me I tried twice and twice w/ csr emails and twice on the website..
Doesn't change my opinion one bit though. They still bricked tons of printers and made the fix obscure and convoluted

sorry Dana to go O/T

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, but people love to hate on HP
From my experience, they deserve it..
Short version.........
The printer will "lock" itself to the first regionalized cartridges that are installed, which in your case were the z40 cartridges. Regionalization for the Officejet Pro 8600 series is particularly insidious since it was only introduced long after the printers were out of warranty, years after the printers were introduced.

VERY BAD idea.. very bad..

reflects a screw the customer mindset over profits..

BTW I actually have a 2 stage gas regulator labelled Hewett-Packard. Probably for fire extinguisher units in server rooms..
works GREAT to this day.. but of course, not made by HP.. just labelled..
http://fortune.com/2012/05/08/how-hewlett-packard-lost-its-way/

More up to date and, PROMISE, my last one..

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3252152/hp-omen-15-2017-review.html

The decision to include a 4K, 60Hz display as an option feels weird with this laptop, though. The GTX 1060 Max-Q inside realistically can’t game beyond 1080p resolution in modern AAA games, and with so many pixels crammed into a modest 15-inch display, HP automatically scales text, apps, and other items up by 250 percent to make them legible, negating 4K’s benefits in most day-to-day uses. G-Sync and 4K resolution each impose a massive penalty to battery life as well, as you’ll see later.
Cons
  • Worst battery life we've ever seen
  • 4K display is useless, detracts from user experience
  • Slow 5,400RPM hard drive
  • Bloatware galore

DANG.. Had to find this.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...-a-fractured-hp-with-no-guarantees-2017-11-21

Meg Whitman took over one of Silicon Valley’s most storied tech companies after a disastrous tenure by the previous chief executive, promising a turnaround within five years.

She will leave a little more than six years later, having torn the Hewlett-Packard puzzle into several pieces but accomplishing little else beyond paying off investors and laying off employees...Whitman should get very little credit for getting HPE out of those woods, as it doesn’t take an accomplished leader to slash and burn a path out of a thicket of trees, especially if the fire ends up taking out most of the forest. Neri’s task will be to find what remains of those ashes and turn it into growth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me started...:(
At work I purchased a nice HP inkjet and only because they happened to have a model w/ necessary specs and the right height..
I've dabbled in their products w/ little love for over 12 years.
Like any company, some good things some bad.. sadly some JUST short of horrible which I, apparently found.
It's really hard to describe why they were horrible though. I was more like other brands just worked easier..had les overhead or less junk added.

But back to that printer.. Honestly it was a relatively NICE thing. Usual "overzealous" software, though HP isn't alone in REALLY bad software, they were, in my experience, pretty consistently
poor. Mostly sort of over-engineered.. You know trying to be too fancy would probably be the best way to describe them.

OK the FINAL straw coming up.. I made a decision to, generally, only buy "HP" carts. Mostly because we had an HP color laser that eventually just went but ugly using generics.
Another short lived HP product in my train.
I know not exactly HP's fault but that cart thing was only part of the overall picture..
Ended up replacing it w/ the inkjet.. Still.. at the time.. couldn't find a height replacement.

So I'd buy gen hp carts off eek bay and stick them in..No problems

Well one day, while HP was doing the all too often "updates" they sort of SNUCK in a firmware patch that locked the cart ID to the current cart.
I never noticed since I had procured a fair supply of carts from the same seller.

THEN I bought a set more as was becoming needed and the printer refused to recognize them..
WRONG ZONE though all were internally coded US...but NEW US code.

SE the firmware "patch" just bricked my printer from new US carts.

After some research I found out this was done on purpose and in order to "fix" it...well telling you the convoluted ridiculous process one needed to go through to
get HP to unbrick my printer is also too long to tell.

But I as willing.. so started down the bureaucratic road for a solution ONLY to be told numerous times.. Sorry you are too late.. we are done fixing what we broke..
REALLY sad part was about 6 months before that I probably could have got HP to fix it BUT I waited till I exhausted my WORKING old stock instead of just tossing a few $100's of ink..

REALLY sad part.. The below question is a firmware bricked printer.
The HP "answer" is COMPLETELY wrong and irreverent..
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Incompatible-ink-cartridges/td-p/7137944
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/bd-p/PostPrint

Go work for Brother.. BEST printers and software I have found.. YMMV AND, thankfully, they got one in my size finally..
We use a 1/2 doz of their small B/w lasers..for at least a decade now..mostly flawless little machines.
Got a 12 yr All in wonder Brother b/w laser behind me as I type and though a bit "grindy" sounding atm
Has never let me down Brother or not brother supplies

Now nothings perfect..and YMMV..

The indicated cartridges are not intended for use in this printer
Google search term..

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkje...intended-for-use-in-this-printer/td-p/6254703
NO.. no they won't I do have proof.. ;)

UH uh.. won't do you any good..not since 2018..

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkje...not-support-z10-cartridge/m-p/7134178#M804153

Bob tried to get mine escalated.. India ( I assume) told me sorry you are out of time..
END of my time w/ ANYTHING HP ..

Somewhere in there is my posts (not that link but the site..)
BTW: Need a full set of Z10 unexpired carts.. let me know..
as to the printer.. well lets say life just isn't safe..

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/regionalization/tg-p/board-id/PostPrint
Gorey tales..

Well goll ee appears one can STILL get it fixed..for some..
Believe me I tried twice and twice w/ csr emails and twice on the website..
Doesn't change my opinion one bit though. They still bricked tons of printers and made the fix obscure and convoluted

sorry Dana to go O/T
Well, I know which button not to push!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the test. You can see why these are so popular with the pico and nano crowd. Puts out a little bit of true UV and plenty of violet for $35. Seems pretty impressive considering it wasn't that long back where higher end commercial fixtures didn't put out much for violet let alone UV.

U

User1

View Badges
I forgot to ask - how hot is the unit?

These bulb types remind me a lot of reptile lighting which used to get extremely hot and are potential fire hazards. I know these are different but the heat sink on these units look somewhat large so wondering how an 8 to 12 hour running window will feel with regards to heat. Unless I am not understand these are on and not adjustable with regards to power/intensity.

I run a set of DIY with a pair of Kessil x360 mixed in so this unit wouldn't be for me. However, I do have a pair of 29 gallon bio cubes that it could work for thus my question.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These bulb types remind me a lot of reptile lighting which used to get extremely hot and are potential fire hazards. I know these are different but the heat sink on these units look somewhat large so wondering how an 8 to 12 hour running window will feel with regards to heat. Unless I am not understand these are on and not adjustable with regards to power/intensity.

I run a set of DIY with a pair of Kessil x360 mixed in so this unit wouldn't be for me. However, I do have a pair of 29 gallon bio cubes that it could work for thus my question.

I use reptile lighting now and remember those were not LED but incandescent or ceramic to provide heat unless you used LED just to grow some plants. These are only 23w vs most reptile bulbs at 60w and up.

@BeardedMcG how hot does your run?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering buying a T5 HO fixture, single or dual lamp... to improve blue in my tank. But the price was going to be over 50 for a fixture+ATI bulb...

Would you say this LED is decent output for the price?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm glad you reminded me. The PAR38 lamp was mounted in an inexpensive aluminum reflector and operated for a few hours, so there was a good chance that heat would climb within it. The wattage did not change (21watts) so I assume the internal fan runs constantly (or perhaps was it not running at all?) The highest temperature I saw (as measured with a non-contact infrared thermometer) was about 105 F. I checked maybe half a dozen points on the lamp. I was surprised, but shouldn't have been. I should always approach a procedure without bias, but I'm only human.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back